question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 1

Consuming data from Eikon and Elektron

Hi, we want to consume data from Eikon and Elektron, tickhistories and if possible realtimefeed.

My idea was to use the Refinitiv Data Platform, since its supposed to provide the data as we need it.

Im still struggling to setup the scopes needed to authenticate a platform session. I could not find an example. Can you please give me a hint on that?

Furthermore, I was told by Refinitiv support that the preferred way to retrieve data is the Data Scope select library, since Data Platfrom is still in beta stage. Is it still unreliable?

what is your stake on that?

Thanks a lot

eikonrdp-apirefinitiv-data-platform
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @tobias.hahn,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

Hello @tobias.hahn,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

-AHS

Upvote
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @tobias.hahn

A few points to address

1. To consume data from a Platform session you need your account team to set up a platform account for you. This includes being provided with a MachineID, for which you can then set a password and generate an EDP (RDP) API AppKey (using the AppKey generator in Eikon or the API Playground).
  2. If you have not already done so, please read this article - which provides a good overview of RDP Library (which is in Beta) and links to various examples in Python and .NET.
  3. Note that you don't have to use the RDP library to consume data from the Platform - you can use REST APIs (and Websocket for streaming) to consume data directly from the platform.
  4. In terms of the data sources available on the Platform my understanding is that some datasets are ready, some are in beta, some in alpha and some are still being onboard. The plan is to eventually offer most of our disparate data services/source on the platform.
  5. If you already have Eikon, then in theory you can use the RDP library with a Desktop session to consume data from your local Eikon installation and then when the Platform data source you are interested in moves out of Beta mode, you could switch your session from Desktop to Platform and start consuming the data from the platform instead.
  6. The RDP library will allow multiple session types within the same application - so you could consume some data from Eikon and some from the Platform if required
  7. Not a content expert, but I have been advised that not every single bit of Eikon data will be available on the platform e.g. due to 3rd party licencing issues - but most of it will eventually.
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
24.6k 54 17 14

Hello @tobias.hahn

The other RDP library resource for starter is an introduction to RDP document page.

To authenticate with a Platform session, you need username, password and App Key credentials as suggested by @Umer Nalla.

Once you have contact your account team to help you setup your account, you can generate your own App Key via Eikon Desktop/Refinitiv Workspace AppKey Generator application (go to the Search Bar and type "APP KEY", then select the AppKey Generator) or via the App Key Generator web site.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.