question

Upvotes
Accepted
244 15 13 17

Receiving timeouts from Eikon DEX2 COM API on earnings forecast data

We are requesting earnings estimates data using the DEX2 COM API. Since last Friday, we have been intermittently (but much more frequently than usual), receiving no response for 15 minutes, and then receiving a callback with DEX2_DataStatus=DE_DS_NULL_TIMEOUT. Restarting Eikon and the machine has not done anything to help this.

Our requests are for earnings forecast data, using the RData API, e.g.:

rd.InstrumentIDList = "AAPL.O";

rd.FieldList = "TR.EPSEstValue.value,TR.EPSEstValue.brokername,TR.EPSEstValue.brokerid,TR.EPSEstValue.analystname,TR.EPSEstValue.analystcode,TR.EPSEstValue.currency,TR.EPSEstValue.origdate,TR.EPSEstValue.periodenddate,TR.EPSEstValue.fperiod";

rd.RequestParam = "FY2019;FY2024";

We haven't seen this timeout behavior at this frequency previously (we'd of course get them occasionally, but it was very rare). We were wondering if there may be an issue upstream at the server end, or if perhaps the recent upgrade from 4.0.51 to 4.0.52 might have something to do with this?

Thanks very much,

David

eikoneikon-com-apic#rdata
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

@davidk

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

I don't think this is related to the version of Eikon. Eikon COM APIs libraries have not changed in a long time. The timeout must be happening at the backend. I would suggest using Fiddler to capture the HTTP request corresponding to one of the RData.Subscribe() calls that return DEX2_DataStatus=DE_DS_NULL_TIMEOUT to OnUpdate callback. I imagine this request will have HTTP status other than 200. Then I would suggest opening a support case with Refinitiv Helpdesk and submitting the HTTP request capture to investigate why this HTTP request failed.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks Alex. I had some trouble using realtime when using Fiddler but I'll give it another whirl.

Did the COM API always communicate over HTTPS or is that a relatively recent change (i.e. within the last 12-18 months)? We've noticed that while COM used to have a speed advantage of about 2-3 hours over the Eikon Data for Python, that speed advantage appears to have gone away, possibly to the detriment of COM (i.e. compared to other vendors it appears that COM has gotten slower rather than Eikon Data API getting faster).

The DEX2 library of Eikon COM APIs always retrieved data from Web services over HTTPS. However, the Web services used by Eikon COM APIs are not the same as the ones used by Eikon Data APIs. The dataset provided by these services is mostly the same, but the backends are different.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.