Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 2 0 0

ESG data for indices with Eikon data API

Hi,

I am trying to get ESG data for indices for example 'SPX', using the following code:

etf_esg, err = ek.get_data('SPX',

['TR.TRESGScore','TR.TRESGScoreGrade','TR.ESGCScore',"TR.TRESGCScoreGrade",'TR.EnvironmentPillarScore','TR.SocialPillarScore','TR.fdfdf','TR.TRESGResourceUseScore'])

However, it returns only NaN values in Python.

How can I retrieve data properly?

Best,

Rupert

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiesg
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Based on my understanding, the ESG scores at funds level is currently not available on Eikon API, but available on RDP Funds API.

Hi @b.lee

I also tested RDP API endpoints.

It does not provide ESG data for SPY

For company, it provides ESG data

ahs1.png (62.8 KiB)
ahs2.png (179.5 KiB)

@RepRupert.Geyang, I do not think ESG is available for indices, but I am not 100% sure. One work-around is to get the ESG scores from a fund tracking that index. e.g. for SPX the ETF: LP40061133. Funds (including ETFs) ESG scores are available in RDP (Refinitiv Data Platform) Funds API.

Thanks for your reply. Are fund ESG scores not available from Eikon data API?

Hello @Rupert.Geyang

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question. Thanks, AHS

@Rupert.Geyang

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
10.2k 18 6 9

Hi @Rupert.Geyang - thanks for your question. ESG Scores are provided at a company level. So if you wanted to check out a particular index - then you would get the constituents of that index and then get the ESG scores for all the constituents and then maybe provide an aggregate score weighted by either marketcap or revenue or profit etc. You can get the constituents of an index by providing a chain RIC - in the case of SPX that is '0#.SPX'

etf_esg, err = ek.get_data('0#.SPX',
['TR.TRESGScore','TR.TRESGScoreGrade','TR.ESGCScore',"TR.TRESGCScoreGrade",'TR.EnvironmentPillarScore','TR.SocialPillarScore','TR.fdfdf','TR.TRESGResourceUseScore'])

I hope this can help.

We also have an article on how to use ESG data overtime as you might find that of interest.

1597831051112.png (139.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to extract the ESG scores of an ETF following an index, such as SPY in Eikon data API? I have tried to plug in SPY but didn't work.

As far as I know we don't provide ESG ratings for ETFs or Funds in Eikon API. It seems like there may be some new services on Refinitiv Data Platform (RDP)that seem able to provide and ESG Rating for funds. However you will not be able to access this endpoint with your Eikon Login and would need to speak to your account team about what is available there and access to it. You will likely want to investigate how these scores are being weighted - by mkt cap etc as I mentioned above. Also if tracker funds are using derivatives you may not be getting the whole picture. So there will likely be a number of points of enquiry which your account team / content team can help with.

As an aside you can already see some new RDP endpoints you do have access to as an Eikon user - a much improved Historical Pricing API (a replacement for get_timeseries API), a new Search API, a new Symbology Service plus some new bond and derivative pricing analytics. This is easiest accessed using the new CODEBOOK app - a new hosted python scripting environment - (type 'CODEBOOK' into Eikon Search bar) and then looking at the Refinitiv Data Platform Examples.

I hope this can help.

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @Rupert.Geyang

SPX is not a valid RIC code.

However .SPX -- (dot)SPX is a valid RIC code.

You can use "Data Item Browser" to double confirm that the data field is not available on .SPX

For example, on TR.TRESGScore data field.

ahs1.png (22.9 KiB)
ahs2.png (93.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Hi, Thank you for your answer. I am now actually trying with SPY, which is the ETF for sp500. The data field is available. However this returns a NaN value for me:

ek.get_data('SPY',

['TR.TRESGScore'])

Hi @Rupert.Geyang

If you mean to get all the holding RICs and get ESG score for each RIC, please see this example:

ahs.png (30.2 KiB)
ahs2.png (132.2 KiB)

Thanks for this, I think this will work for me. I was just curious that I do see that Eikon offers these ESG data points for SPY, but they cannot be extracted to python?

1597834539288.png (439.3 KiB)
Show more comments
Upvote
1.5k 3 2 3

@chavlit.jintamalit, you need to use the Funds API in RDP to get the ESG for SPY. The ESG data is from Lipper (by aggregation of the ESG scores held by the underlying assets of fund) and Lipper provides all fund level data in RDP via the Funds API.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.