question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 2 3

How to go about retrieving historical data

I have been working on the RFA C# API from Reuters, and specifically, I have been building upon the examples provided in rfanet8.0.0.L1.win.rrg/Examples/StarterConsumer, to retrieve real-time data.

How can I retrieve historical data for equity, commodity, and FX?

Is there another package that I need to install for this?

I would prefer to use Python 3.3, if there is an API available for it. Otherwise, C# is fine.

Thanks!

pythontreprfarfa-apihistoricaltime-seriesc#
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@Damian.F.Abasto

Hi.

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Else please post again offering further insight into your question

Thanks

@Damian.F.Abasto

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
7.6k 15 6 9

RFA and other TREP APIs(EMA, UPA etc) support only Time Series One(TS1) data. TS1 provides access to historical data distributed via Elektron data feed. It provides a range of facts (such as Open, High, Low, Close) for the equity, money, fixed income, commodities and energy markets. TS1 data is available in three frequencies; daily, weekly, and monthly. For daily data there is up to two years worth of history, for weekly data there is five years, and for monthly data up to ten years.

To request TS1 data using RFA.NET, you don't need to install additional package. You have to use TS1 interfaces from TS1 library(TS1_NET<VS Version>_64.dll provided in folder Libs) to parse the TS1 data. You can find more details about TS1 and RFA.NET interfaces from TS1 Reference Manual(TS1Data.pdf) and TS1 Developer Guide(TS1_DevGuideNET.pdf).

You may also try StarterConsumer_TS1 example which demonstrates how to request and parse TS1 historical data from TREP-RT. Please find the description of the example from README file locates in the same folder.

Regarding to API for python. Currently we don't have TREP API which support python.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

TS1 and TAS are end-of-life as of 30th June, 2016 -- DN082484

From what I know, the Elektron Feed Product Manager has cancelled the DNDN082484 as they have postponed the IDN TAS/TS1 sunset. The plans to launch an Elektron Time Series service for API consumers are on hold and they don't have committed timescales.

Upvotes
1.2k 23 31 44

Judging that you are on the desktop using C# I would suggest asking for access to the Eikon Scripting APIs (EAP) - that include Python access to historical data.

For immediate production use one has to look at DataScope Select or Tick History as a web service for accessing historical data, these are marketed under the Elektron Data Solutions umbrella.

Longer term but not available on early-access so far is Elektron Time Series, this will be available through the Elektron SDK and RFA APIs.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 1

Also check out PyRFA which has support for TS1 data as well: http://devcartel.com/blog/13910454

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
47 0 4 2

@Damian.F.Abasto Our API, which is written in Java, supports historic data as well -- you can find details, including source, and an example, here.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.