Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
12 4 3 3

What is the field COUNT and what does it mean when it is assigned with -1?

I am requesting SPY data via API calls - python.

I have seen from a previous question that it means the number of quotes received within the time interval .

However, my issue is that it sometimes returns -1 and sometimes returns NaN. Look what happens when I concatenate the dataframes:

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apifields
1602161016275.png (21.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
10.2k 18 6 9

@fidel.esteves As the thread you mentioned explains - count is mainly used for OTC market instruments - where there is no volume indicated eg FX market and it represents number of quotes. For an exchange traded instrument this is number of trades.

To get this for SPY you should use an exchange traded primary RIC (SPY.N) using the timeseries call:

df = ek.get_timeseries('SPY.N') df

Alternatively, you can use the volume indicator and also the field TR.NUMBEROFTRADES which is available as an end of day series using the get_data function.

df, err = ek.get_data('SPY.N',['TR.Volume.date','TR.Volume','TR.NUMBEROFTRADES'],{'SDate':'0','EDate':'-10D','FRQ':'D'}) df

I hope this can help.

1602171294008.png (125.0 KiB)
1602171559861.png (129.5 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.