Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 5 5

Value at Risk Model using Eikon API and Python

Hello,

I'm looking to build a value at risk model using Eikon API and Python. My first question is whether you have something off the shelf I can review? Assuming no, how can I pull the daily returns?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apivar
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
10.1k 18 6 9

@jeremy.cahill I recently wrote an article (jupyter notebook available as well) on portfolio optimisation using the Eikon Data API and a recent library called mlfinlab - I know that this library has VaR, CVaR & CDaR baked in. I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Many thanks for this Jason. I'm looking for something more simple. Essentially I'd like to define a date range, get the daily returns (already provided in your example) and then solve for VaR. The goal would be to create a backtesting model. Any suggestions where I can look or where to start?

Upvotes
10.1k 18 6 9

@jeremy.cahill there are plenty of resources on the internet - a search for python VaR will furnish you with lots of collateral - something like this perhaps https://www.interviewqs.com/blog/value_at_risk

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.