Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 1

Return formula from day x to day y

Dear Friends,

I am building an excel database, where I have the date of IPO of more than 1000+ companies and I am interested to find the return after 365 days from the initial public offering. Example what's the stock return of company x which has IPO on the 1st of january 2015 to january 2016.

This is what I am building. if anyone could give me a formula, that would be amazing!!!

thanks!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiformula-builder
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

If you're looking for a price return, you need the closing price on the date of the IPO and on the date a year after. E.g.

=100*TR("FB.O","TR.PriceClose","SDate:18-May-2013")/TR("FB.O","TR.PriceClose","SDate:18-May-2012")-100

Facebook stock lost 31.34% in the first year since IPO.
If you're looking for a total return, you can use

=TR("FB.O","TR.TotalReturn","SDate=18-May-2012 EDate=18-May-2013")

In case of Facebook the result is the same, since the company hasn't been paying dividends since it went public.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ok I have tried with the 2nd formula you gave. However, I am getting "NULL".

=@TR($C$4,"TR.TotalReturn","SDate=#1 EDate=#2",,$F$4,$H$4)

$C$4= ticker

$F$4=start date

$H$4=end date

how can i solve this issue?

What are the values of ticker, start date and end date? To tell why a function returns a certain value one needs to know the exact inputs.

The ticker I have placed are RIC, start date and end date are in date format in Excel.

Example:

RIC= CWBR.OQ

IPO DATE= 06/01/2015 (dd/mm/yyyy)

END DATE= 06/01/2016

Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.