Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
8 5 5 6

How to retrieve the same list of indicators that are available in Economic Monitor with python?

Good morning!

I'm building a script in python that listen to events using the get_streaming functionality, and for that I need to know the list of RICs to subscribe to. I already tried some chains, but could'nt find any that gives me the same list of instruments that the EM app provides.

Is that a way that I can retrieve all this at once or I need to use multiple requests? Any suggestions on that?

Thank you in advance!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apieconomic-data
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @diego37

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
21 0 1 0

Hi @diego37 we do not support the chains workflow anymore for economics. The best approach here would be to use Eikon search as explained by Jason. We do add new indicators to the coverage but it not by the hundreds every month. So once you have used Eikon search or even the EM app to gather the full list of RICs, you can split your Python code to first use the real time data for the entire universe and filter for everything that is scheduled for future. ECI_ACT_DT > Today

Then use that filtered list for your pupose...

So adapting from the code Jason wrote, something like below:

data, err = ek.get_data([YOUR_LIST_OF_RICS],['ECI_ACT_DT'])

rics_to_use = data[data['ECI_ACT_DT']>= date.today()]

where "YOUR_LIST_OF_RICS" is the RICs you have saved in a file and retrieved as a list.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for the reply.

I got you, and that is exactly what I was trying to avoid, because it will need some manual interaction once in a while to get the list of RICs updated.

Anyway, thank you!

Upvotes
10.2k 18 6 9

Hi @diego37 I wrote an article (ipynb available) about working with Economic Indicators in Eikon - I think you may find it of use. Please look at that and if you have any follow up questions just get back to me here. I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Your article was useful because I could read that the RICs I was trying to use are no longer, thank you for that, and that is my point: once it's not being updated, is there a way that I can retrieve the list of RICs that the EM are using?

Like: I don't want to manually select a bunch of RICs, I simply want to retrieve the list of RICs that will be published and then use it in my subscription to get the same as I can get with Excel, but in python (lighter and faster than Excel).

The purpose is to automatize it at maximum. Using Excel I need to go to EM once in a while and "Download the realtime data (with formulas)" to update the list of RICs in the spreadsheet. If I can retrieve this same list in python, that would be really nice.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.