Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
8 5 5 6

Can using the Eikon python API make the desktop APP and other services slow?

Good morning,

In our company we have some scripts running on the machine that we have the Eikon desktop, all related to Eikon services. One of these scripts is made in python and uses the API with the Streaming Prices method, however we noticed that sometimes the desktop APP is slower and the other services respond to many timeouts.

My question is: can the use of this streaming script be affecting the performance of other services?

And something related would be: could it be something related to the limitation of requests?

I know that none of the other scripts exhaust the number of daily requests (10,000 if I'm not mistaken, right ?!), but with this script making 200 rics with high frequency ticks, is it possible that this is the reason? It was not clear to me in the documentation how requests are counted when using Streaming Prices, could you elaborate?

Thanks in advance,

Diego Soares.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apistreaming-prices
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @diego37

The request in the Streaming Prices does not count towards limitation.

I believe that the reason is that you are consuming 200 "high frequency" instruments.

So the processing/callback might not be able to catch up with the incoming updates.

If you need a real-time data feed, you may consider an enterprise product such as Real-Time Optimized feed.

Please contact your Customer Success Manager to get more information about the product which may serve you better.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

But is it possible that this script is slowing down others services?

Hi @diego37

It could be possible.

I can give you a few scenarios.

- Assuming that the "high update rate" 200 rics already exhausted almost all of your machine network bandwidth. So other requests will have to be queued out and it could fail, timeout, etc...

- Assuming that your script spends most of your CPU time to handle the "high update rate" 200 rics, so it could slow down other applications, processing power on the same machine.

I could not say for sure that this is an issue you are experiencing.

I think the best way is to get CSM to discuss with you on the requirement.

So they can bring in the best solution for you.

OK, thank you for the attention!

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.