Upvotes
Accepted
1 2 5 6

Why Connection to electron service keeps dropping every 15-20mins

I'm connecting using the Java API

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdkrrtjava
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @vuk.magdelinic

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Hello @vuk.magdelinic ,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

We have not heard back from you.

I am going to accept as best the answer, that I feel benefits the members of developer community with similar questions the most.

If you have further questions that are related, please open a new discussion thread, and refer to this discussion thread via link, if need be.

With respect,

-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

I would differentiate two types of possible issues with the described scenario:

1. Code related:

If you run a standard example that came with SDK, with the same connection parameters as your custom application and it does not drop connection, then the issue is likely related to custom application code and needs to be investigated from the code perspective. One of the possible approach is divide and conquer - separate and remove pieces of custom code till you find a point when the connection drop does not occur, and that should allow to at least narrow down the possible causes and consequently come up with the solution.

2. Connectivity and infrastructure related:

If the standard example drops connection at the same or very close pattern, you are looking at the connectivity or infrastructure related issues. If you are connecting to Refinitiv Realtime Optimized or Refinitiv hosted, the first step is to check with Refinitiv Helpdesk Online -> Notifications and Alerts -> Service Alerts and if you don't find a relevant alert, open support ticket with Refinitiv Helpdesk Online to help you investigate the issue. If you are connecting to your local deployed infra, contact your market data/network admin/group to investigate the issue.

I hope this information helps to proceed toward the resolution of the connection issue

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

Here's the error I get:

com.refinitiv.ema.access.OmmInvalidUsageExceptionImpl: RDMLogin stream was closed with status message

username XXXXXX

usernameType 1

State: Closed/Suspect/Internal error from sender - text: "Login Denied:Failed to validate sso token"

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

In order for us to try to help further, please provide the complete details:

Versions: of RTSDK or Elektron SDK, EMA or ETA, language, OS?

Infra connectivity: is it Refinitiv Realtime Optimized in cloud, Refinitiv Realtime Hosted? a deployed infrustructure?

Is the issue reproducible with one of the standard examples that came with your SDK, or only in a custom app?

Is my understanding correct that you establish connectivity and subscription, you observe streaming data for 15-20 mins and only then your connection drops, and you observe this error message?

Any other relevant information or details.

Thanks

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

We use Java EMAfactory to connect to ELECKTRON_DD service.

Pls point us to the standard examples as we couldn't find them.

We establish connection, it lasts for 15-20mins and then dies without any error. Sometimes when we try to reestablish connection, we get the error pasted earlier. Other times we get the following error:

java.lang.NullPointerException: null

at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.SingleItem.rsslSubmit(ItemCallbackClient.java:3047) ~[MarketPriceChain_KPL.jar:?]

at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.SingleItem.close(ItemCallbackClient.java:2902) ~[MarketPriceChain_KPL.jar:?]

at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.ItemCallbackClient.unregister(ItemCallbackClient.java:2301) ~[MarketPriceChain_KPL.jar:?]

at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.OmmBaseImpl.unregister(OmmBaseImpl.java:509) ~[MarketPriceChain_KPL.jar:?]

at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.OmmConsumerImpl.unregister(OmmConsumerImpl.java:167) ~[MarketPriceChain_KPL.jar:?]

at com.thomsonreuters.platformservices.elektron.objects.marketprice.MarketPriceImpl.close(MarketPriceImpl.java:156) ~[MarketPriceChain_KPL.jar:?]

at MarketPriceASKBID.SwapRates.fetchSwapData(SwapRates.java:201)

icon clock
10 |1500

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

Please confirm what infrastructure you connect to? The standard examples to choose will depend on this.

The answers to the above questions, in my opinion, will determine the best course of action.

Sorry infastructure meaning?

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

Please see my previous questions, to try to help you determine what is happening:

Versions: of RTSDK or Elektron SDK, EMA or ETA, language, OS?

Infra connectivity: is it Refinitiv Realtime Optimized in cloud, Refinitiv Realtime Hosted? a deployed infrastructure?

Is the issue reproducible with one of the standard examples that came with your SDK, or only in a custom app?

Is my understanding correct that you establish connectivity and subscription, you observe streaming data for 15-20 mins and only then your connection drops, and you observe this error message?

Show more comments
Upvotes
1 2 5 6

Are there any timeouts/timelimits before a connection expires and needs to be restarted?

Last day, we had uninterrupted service for 4hrs and then it dropped twice

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

I believe you are connecting to Refinitiv Real Time Optimized ( RRTO, also formerly Elektron Real in cloud).

I do not know what SDK you are working with, you appear to be using EMA Java.

In order to determine if the disconnects are related to connectivity interrupts, infra outages or are code-related, would like to suggest to run a simple standard EMA Java consumer that came with your SDK.

For instance, in RTSDK 2.0 examples folder:

...\Ema\Examples\src\main\java\com\refinitiv\ema\examples\training\consumer\series400\ex430_MP_Authentication

Example 430 = MarketPrice Authentication,

And see if it faces the same connection issues as your custom code.

Does this help, are you able to proceed?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

Hi I hope you have read my responses to your questions.

We are using EMA (ema-3.6.0.0.jar) in JAVA. On Unix

We are connecting to RSSL_Encrypted

Host: amer-3-t2.streaming-pricing-api.refinitiv.com Port 14002

Does this give you some clarity??

As explained multiple times, sometimes we see null pointer exception Error message, sometimes no error message

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

In the Java jar file that I'm using I dont see \Ema\Examples\src\main\java\com\refinitiv\ema\examples\training\consumer\series400\ex430_MP_Authentication

I see the following:

com.refinitiv.platformservices.elektron.objects.commoncom.refinitiv.platformservices.elektron.objects.datacom.refinitiv.platformservices.elektron.objects.marketplace
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

Thank you for this confirmation. Appreciate your patience. You are on the latest RTSDK 2.x.

As you mention you run on Unix, please refer to the latest API Compatibility Matrix, tab Operating System. I do not believe any UNIX/Solaris are certified for RTSDK/EMA. This is very likely the root cause of the problem.

However, let me try to learn more. Both pre-built versions of RTSDK from Downloads and the complete source version available from GitHub RTSDK Repository includes complete set of our examples. Let's try to step back, do you see Examples folder that came with your version of RTSDK? This directory would not be part of the library itself, within EMA jar, this would be part of SDK, next to Docs and Libs?

Will you able to step back, and test with our starter example, I would suggest following EMA Quickstart - Connecting to RRTO for complete sequence of steps, on one of the certified platforms, to confirm if the issue persists?

icon clock
10 |1500

can you. pls advise why I see this error:

java.lang.IllegalMonitorStateException

at java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock$Sync.tryRelease(ReentrantLock.java:151)

at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.release(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:1261)

I'll look into the links you have provided. thanks!

Hi @vuk.magdelinic,

Can you please confirm, if you observe this error on one of the supported OSs, according to API Compatibility Matrix and with one of the simple RTTO examples that came with EMA Java SDK, I would suggest either EMA Java MarketPrice 430 (service discovery) or if you prefer to test with the specific endpoint, please try EM Java Market price 113.

This Quickstart Guide will take you through the quick steps on how to get started with example.

Once the minimal example is running for you successfully, you can build up to your custom requirements.

Does this make sense?

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @vuk.magdelinic

Are you by any chance using the same Machine ID / password for multiple applications making multiple connections to RRTO ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

@chavalit.jintamalit Error I'm getting is this: (are you saying this is because of multiple connections?)

java.lang.IllegalMonitorStateException

at java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock$Sync.tryRelease(ReentrantLock.java:151)

at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.release(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:1261)

at java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock.unlock(ReentrantLock.java:457)

at com.refinitiv.eta.transport.ReentrantLock.unlock(ReentrantLock.java:28)

at com.refinitiv.eta.transport.RsslHttpSocketChannel.read(RsslHttpSocketChannel.java:1031)

at com.refinitiv.eta.valueadd.reactor.Reactor.performChannelRead(Reactor.java:2816)

at com.refinitiv.eta.valueadd.reactor.Reactor.dispatchChannel(Reactor.java:2481)

at com.refinitiv.eta.valueadd.reactor.ReactorChannel.dispatch(ReactorChannel.java:574)

at com.refinitiv.ema.access.OmmBaseImpl.rsslReactorDispatchLoop(OmmBaseImpl.java:1487)

at com.refinitiv.ema.access.OmmBaseImpl.dispatch(OmmBaseImpl.java:598)

at com.refinitiv.ema.access.OmmConsumerImpl.dispatch(OmmConsumerImpl.java:185)

at com.refinitiv.platformservices.elektron.objects.common.DispatcherImpl.dispatchEventsUntilComplete(DispatcherImpl.java:49)

at com.refinitiv.platformservices.elektron.objects.marketprice.MarketPriceImpl.waitForCompletion(MarketPriceImpl.java:346)

at com.refinitiv.platformservices.elektron.objects.marketprice.MarketPriceImpl.open(MarketPriceImpl.java:146)

at MarketPriceASKBID.SwapRates.fetchSwapData(SwapRates.java:142)

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @vuk.magdelinic

I am looking at this error.

State: Closed/Suspect/Internal error from sender - text: "Login Denied:Failed to validate sso token"

Do you use the same Machine ID on more than one connection?

Or did you by any chance happen to login with the same machine ID before around the time you got this error?

Are you using the latest EMA API?

Do you enableSessionManagement on EMA API?

When you log in to get token, did you pass in takeExclusiveSignOnControl as True or False?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

@chavalit.jintamalit pls look at the below error instead: (because Login denied error was probably when we were trying to reconnect the session every 15-20mins automatically)

Java.lang.IllegalMonitorStateException

at com.refinitiv.eta.transport.RsslHttpSocketChannel.read(RsslHttpSocketChannel.java:1031)

at com.refinitiv.eta.valueadd.reactor.Reactor.performChannelRead(Reactor.java:2816)

at com.refinitiv.eta.valueadd.reactor.Reactor.dispatchChannel(Reactor.java:2481)

at com.refinitiv.eta.valueadd.reactor.ReactorChannel.dispatch(ReactorChannel.java:574)

at com.refinitiv.ema.access.OmmBaseImpl.rsslReactorDispatchLoop(OmmBaseImpl.java:1487)

at com.refinitiv.platformservices.elektron.objects.common.DispatcherImpl.dispatchEventsUntilComplete(DispatcherImpl.java:49)

at com.refinitiv.platformservices.elektron.objects.marketprice.MarketPriceImpl.waitForCompletion(MarketPriceImpl.java:346)

at com.refinitiv.platformservices.elektron.objects.marketprice.MarketPriceImpl.open(MarketPriceImpl.java:146)

at MarketPriceASKBID.SwapRates.fetchSwapData(SwapRates.java:142)

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

@zoya.farberov @chavalit.jintamalit did you guys look at this error? any update?

Java.lang.IllegalMonitorStateException

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

Looking for the confirmation from you, that you are running on a supported platform according to the latest API Compatibility Matrix?

Were you able to proceed as suggested, and reproduce the issue that you describe with connection being dropped after 15-20 min (that can potentially be caused by the Exception listed) with a simple standard example, as your connectivity is Refinitiv Real Time Optimized, one of the best suited examples that would be EMA Java Market Price Consumer 450, steps to run described in EMA Quickstart - Connecting to RRTO?

That would narrow down the causes significantly for you. If the standard example reproduces the same issue - the issue is due to network connectivity or infra outages, if it does not, streams unabated- it's likely origin is in your custom application code.

Further, as suggested by @chavalit.jintamalit, please advise, if several connections are made with the same machine ID in parallel, and if you only run one connection at a time, does the issue still manifest?

icon clock
10 |1500

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

<private comment>

If it would be helpful to run RTTO example on your side, over screenshare, I am in EST timezone, please email some suitable times to zoya.farberov@refinitiv.com

I you are interested in more comprehensive development/design help with your custom application, Premium support (formerly RDC) membership should be considered, suggest contacting your Refinitiv account team to discuss it.

@zoya.farberov we dont seem to have access to the links you have provided. can you pls share them to us in an email?

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

You will need to be logged into dev portal to access these materials:

• What error do you get when you access the link?
  • Please try logging out of the portal, logging back in, and next accessing the materials, let us know if this allows you to access, or what error you get after logging out and back in?

Quickstart guide is made available as online documentation, with linkage to other relevant and related documents.

I'm unable to download the zip file of the latest java sdk from downloads. Can you pls email it?

I get a popup that asks me to setup my profile even though its already setup. When I fill it and press continue, it just keeps spinning with no update. refreshing it also doesnt help

Ok confirmed platform is supported as per the API compatibility matrix

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

Please be more specific. Are you running on Unix, as you have mentioned before?

We are using EC2 Centos8 which is supported by EMA.

Not sure what you mean by this --> If the standard example reproduces the same issue - the issue is due to network connectivity or infra outages, if it does not, streams unabated- it's likely origin is in your custom application code.

We are on AWS with 100% availablity. So you need to investigate why your code throws an error? The sample also generates the same error

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

As you are consistently experiencing an issue that we do not reproduce on our side.

Please confirm,

Were you able to download and test with our Quickstart example for AWS, and what are the results?

Or are experiencing issues accessing quickstart, downloading/running the example and would like a hand with that?

Thanks

Cannot download quickstart example as mentioned in earlier comment above. But looked at the code and its very similar to what we have, our code is below:

MarketPrice theMarketPrice;            do {
                    for (String str : values) {
                        theMarketPrice = new MarketPrice.Builder().withOmmConsumer(ommConsumer).withName(str)
                                .withServiceName(SERVICE_NAME).withSynchronousMode(AUTO_DISPATCH).build();
                        theMarketPrice.open();                        //System.out.println(theMarketPrice.toString());
                        jsonResponse = createJsonObject(theMarketPrice.getField("DSPLY_NAME").value().toString(),
                                theMarketPrice.getField("BID").value().toString(),
                                theMarketPrice.getField("ASK").value().toString(),
                                theMarketPrice.getField("CTBTR_1").value().toString(),
                                theMarketPrice.getField("VALUE_TS1").value().toString(),
                                theMarketPrice.getField("MID_PRICE").value().toString());                        //System.out.println(jsonResponse.toString(1));
                        logger.debug(jsonResponse.toString(1));                        readRecordsAndSubmitToKPL(jsonResponse);                        theMarketPrice.close();
                    }            } while (true);

As mentioned several times, only 1 connection is being made

Thanks @vuk.magdelinic,

This eliminates a subset of possible issues.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

The code looks reasonable, however, troubleshooting custom code will not be reasonable in the framework of the discussion forum.

Do you have the complete SDK? SDK can be downloaded from Downloads, you will need to be logged in and may need to "request download" the first time.

Otherwise, SDK is open source and so the complete source code can also be downloaded from RTSDK on GitHub and built from source according to Installation Guide found in docs.

The example, in both cases, will be in ... \Ema\Examples, the example of interest, ServiceDiscovery, is com\refinitiv\ema\examples\training\consumer\series400\ex450_MP_QueryServiceDiscovery

Let us know how this works for you

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

I have looked into this example but I cant find the below package/class being used: Pls advise since this is the class we are using to fetch data

package com.refinitiv.platformservices.elektron.objects.marketprice;
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

Our examples use Refinitiv libraries that are part of RTSDK:

• EMA, ease of use tier
  • ETA, lower level access, transport tier

Have you been able to run the example successfully as described in Quickstart guide?

---

There was an influential article published, believe that it was at the introduction of Elektron SDK (currently Relatime SDK) EMA libraries, A simple MarketPrice object for EMA describing how to build value-add objects on top of EMA.

There was companion code included with the article, to illustrate the concepts that were explained by the author in the article, hosted on GiHub, that was last updated by the author 2 years ago, major updates 3 years ago, from what I see.

I read in Readme on GitHub that the article code is tested with EMA 1.1.0. This is a very old version and pre-dates not just the latest major version of RTSDK 2.0, but several versions before it.

I would suggest using the latest EMA from RTSDK 2.0 that you mention you use, directly, since the publication of the article, many issues have been fixed, many new features became available, and this is what you wish to use.

The techniques demonstrated in the article remain valid, and can be used for creating value- added objects, as suggests at the end "It should give you good indications for implementing the same kind of features in your own applications", however would not suggest using the companion code as is, would at least need to verify the parts that you wish to use with the current version of RTSDK prior to doing so, in my view.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

Thanks for your response! If I skip using the value-add objects, then I would need to find the FID values for the fields I'm pulling. can you please help me where I can get those?

For ex -

theMarketPrice.getField("MID_PRICE").value().toString());   

Instead of the above, I would need to do something like this right?

OmmArray array = EmaFactory.createOmmArray();
            array.fixedWidth(2);
            array.add(EmaFactory.createOmmArrayEntry().intValue(???-what should go here?))
icon clock
10 |1500

You can locate the data dictionary files under \Real-Time-SDK-2.0.1.L1.java\RTSDK-2.0.1.L1.java.rrg\Java\etc folder.

From RDMFieldDictionary:

MID_PRICE  "MID-PRICE"            134  NULL        PRICE              17  REAL64           7

I assume that you are trying to use "View" feature when you make a subscription.

Please refer to example 360.

The "View" feature limits the fields in the refresh or update message that your application receives regarding the data subscription.

You can add more fields and you make a subscription:

ahs1.jpg (152.3 KiB)
ahs2.jpg (353.9 KiB)
Upvotes
1 2 5 6

@chavalit.jintamalit do you know why when I use EMA directly as explained by you, I dont seem to get data for many of the fields but using ValueAddObject interface gets me data for those fields?

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @vuk.magdelinic

You provided a snippet code which is using "view" feature.

So I was assuming that you tried to achieve what "view" feature does.

When you refer to the sample code from EMA, it is suggested that you also review the readme file for each sample as well.

Summary
=======

The ex360_MP_View application is provided as an example of OMM Consumer
application written to the EMA library.

This application demonstrates basic usage of the EMA library for opening item
stream with a list of field IDs called "View" and parsing of OMM MarketPrice
data from Refinitiv Data Feed Direct (RDF-D), directly from an OMM Provider
application, or from an Advanced Distribution Server.

ex360_MP_View showcases usage of view request feature supported
by OMM Consumer and server.

Please refer to this article for view (and batch) features.

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

@chavalit.jintamalit yes I'm using ex 360. But can you tell me when the refresh/update happens then do we get all the values/fields that we specified in the view or just the updated fields out of those?

For ex - I subscribe to Ask, Bid and Display name

OmmArray array = EmaFactory.createOmmArray();
            array.fixedWidth(0);
            array.add(EmaFactory.createOmmArrayEntry().intValue(3));
            array.add(EmaFactory.createOmmArrayEntry().intValue(22));
            array.add(EmaFactory.createOmmArrayEntry().intValue(25);

But when I receive UpdateMsg, I only get Ask and Bid not Display Name. Is this expected behavior?

icon clock
10 |1500

The update message only contains the fields that are updated.

In this case, Display Name value is not updated(compare to the previous value in the refresh message) so it won't be included in the update message.

How can I get all the values and not just the updated ones? When using ValueObject MarketPrice I was getting all values regardless of them being updated or not

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

You can obtain all fields, only when you need them, by using Snapshot- specifically requesting snapshot when you need it, Snapshot request example can be found with RTSDK EMA Java - Example Market Price 102 - Snapshot

Or you can cache/store the required static values, and retrieve and combine them with every update, analogous to what Simple Market Price Object handles.

I used interestAfterRefresh(false) to get snapshot but now it seems I dont get any message after the initial refreshMsg.

My Thread.sleep is set to 1 sec.

Why??

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

This is correct. The snapshot behavior, as requested with interestAfterRefresh =false is you are requesting a single refresh (Snapshot), and no streaming updates.

There are two modes:

• Snapshot - single request, returns all fields
  • Streaming - a stream is open, every update is received, until the stream is closed.

Hope this helps

Show more comments
Upvotes
1 2 5 6

@zoya.farberov

But in ex 102, it has a thread.sleep of 60 secs. So how is it getting the snapshots every 60 secs is what I'm trying to understand and replicate at my end.

Should I be calling this every few seconds to get the snapshot? Because I dont see that in ex 102

consumer.registerClient(reqMsg.serviceName("DIRECT_FEED").name("IBM.N").interestAfterRefresh(false), appClient);

icon clock
10 |1500

@vuk.magdelinic,

It is not getting snapshots every 60 sec. This example is timing it's run and exiting after 60 secs

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

If you are looking to tweak RTSDK EMA Java example 102 to snapshot every 60 sec, how about something like this, please replace the relevant part of the code in your example:

try
        {
            AppClient appClient = new AppClient();

OmmConsumerConfig config = EmaFactory.createOmmConsumerConfig();

consumer  = EmaFactory.createOmmConsumer(config.host("YOURHOST:14002").username("YOURUSER"));

ReqMsg reqMsg = EmaFactory.createReqMsg();

while(true) {            
                consumer.registerClient(reqMsg.serviceName("YOURSERVICE").name("IBM.N").interestAfterRefresh(false), appClient);            
                Thread.sleep(60000);            // API calls onRefreshMsg(), onUpdateMsg() and onStatusMsg()
            }
        }

this will run continuously and snapshot every 60 secs.

Let us know how this works for you?

icon clock
10 |1500

Thanks @zoya.farberov

This is exactly what I did. And it ran fine. I was getting the snapshots of the records with values for all fields not just updated ones.

I kept it running, however, when I checked after 90mins, it failed with the below error: (code is exactly similar to what you have mentioned - I'm calling registerClient on consumer after every 1 sec instead of 60 sec)

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.refinitiv.ema.access.SingleItem.rsslSubmit(ItemCallbackClient.java:2994)
    at com.refinitiv.ema.access.SingleItem.open(ItemCallbackClient.java:2856)
    at com.refinitiv.ema.access.BatchItem.open(ItemCallbackClient.java:3823)
    at com.refinitiv.ema.access.ItemCallbackClient.registerClient(ItemCallbackClient.java:2156)
    at com.refinitiv.ema.access.OmmBaseImpl.registerClient(OmmBaseImpl.java:457)
    at com.refinitiv.ema.access.OmmConsumerImpl.registerClient(OmmConsumerImpl.java:143)
    at EMAConsumer.Consumer.main(Consumer.java:548)

@vuk.magdelinic,

Please confirm that you are still connecting to RTTO?

And the basis of your code is example MP 450 as per Quickstart Guide? (you have just added the loop to it) or you are doing something different?

If this is exactly the case, I can try to reproduce, by running the example with snapshots for 90 min+.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

I have modified RTSDK EMA Java Example 450 (RRTO) to request snapshots every 60 sec and left it running for over two hours.

My modification of the example was:

ReqMsg reqMsg = EmaFactory.createReqMsg();

while(true) {            
                consumer.registerClient(reqMsg.serviceName("ELEKTRON_DD").name(itemName).interestAfterRefresh(false), appClient);            
                Thread.sleep(60000);            // API calls onRefreshMsg(), onUpdateMsg() and onStatusMsg()
            }    

I did not reproduce the NullPointer exception.

I attach the complete zipped code as well:

Consumer_450_SnapshotLoop.zip

Is this identical to what you have modified and that have run and your run has resulted in the exception?

Does the issue reproduce consistently in your environment by running this code?

If it is not the same, please run the attached, and let us know how this works for you?

icon clock
10 |1500

Yes my code is exactly the same as you provided except you are refreshing at 60sec and I'm refreshing at 1sec. Even when I run your code it fails after sometime. The time when it fails is not consistent.

Can you try running running at your end for 1 sec and see if you reproduce the issue?

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

Snapshotting every second is not a sound design approach. The snapshot is comprised of registration, receipt of the image or status, complete cleanup of the registration, all handled asynchronously on your behalf, but required.

You have said before "getting snapshots every 60 seconds" is what you were looking to do, and I have tried to help you with design approach and providing the example.

RRTO is already a conflated stream, quotes capped at 3 updates per sec, trade-safe. You will not be facing the situation, for example, with 100+ updates per second.

If you require to have the complete image, all fields, refreshed, every second, I would suggest as your custom consumer design approach:

• Use streaming, rather then snapshot
  • Cache/store any fids that you require that are not being updated, and enrich them into the updates that are received
  • Discard any updates that you do not require, such as after 1/sec

The article, the companion code of which you have originally used A simple MarketPrice object for EMA discusses a design approach to analogous task (without understanding the complete requirement can not tell if this is a 100% match with your requirements). It does state however:

"The MarketPrice class and the ValueAddObjectsForEMA example library have been written by Refinitiv for the only purpose of illustrating a series of articles published on the Refinitiv Developer. The MarketPrice class and the ValueAddObjectsForEMA example library have not been tested for usage in production environments. Refinitiv cannot be held responsible for any issues that may happen if these objects or the related source code is used in production or any other client environment. "

However, as the article and its code pre-date RTSDK and even RRTO, in my understanding, the article's material can be helpful to learn of the concepts involved and the approach that was used, but you would have to design, for the approach illustrated, rather then use the code as is.

I hope this helps

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

@zoya.farberov what is the recommended and the minimum time to get snapshots? 60 secs is too long, can I go with snapshots every 10sec lets say?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

It's a totally different question from what we have started with, and it is better to ask a new question as a new question, while including the link to the related previous discussions, so that the answers are readily visible and easily findable by the next developers with same ot similar question.

However, I hope this discussion is useful to you?

There is no "blanket" answer to this question. The best approach is to do a thorough testing in your local environment and once we identify what works, we always prefer to err on the side of safety. I.e. consider doubling the interval that you find to work safely for your instrument list size in your environment and under your network and internet conditions.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

Attached is a rough port of A simple MarketPrice object for EMA article code, included are:

• Example.EMA.Java.ValueAddObjectsForEMA-master and Article.EMA.Java.MarketPriceSubscriber-master are included
  • Built with RTSDK 2.0
  • Migrated namespaces to Refinitiv convention
  • Added support for RSSL_ENCRYPTED (RRTO)

From my testing, the example runs as expected and does not drop connection with arguments:

-wu -s ELEKTRON_DD -u MACHINEID -p PASSWORD -kf KEYSTOREFILEWITHPATH -kp KEYSTOREPASSWORD -c CLIENTID JPY=

Article.EMA.Java.OlivierDavant.RTSDK20QuickPort.zip

Let us know if you find this useful

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 5 6

What is the refresh rate you have used in this? We want 1 sec refresh with full data.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @vuk.magdelinic,

As you have stated ValueAddedObject was not working right for you and you were most interested in getting ValueAddedObject working right, with RRTO, I went back and invested time into rough-porting it to RTSDK 2.0.

I have run MarketpriceSubscriber object, with the parameters noted above.

1 sec refresh:

This is streaming request, every update is received. RRTO connectivity is 3 quotes per sec, conflated stream, trade-safe. If you wish you can process the first update in a sec, and ignore the rest, of course.

Full data:

"Objects, like MarketPrices or Order Books that cache (retain) in memory the latest values sent by the platform so that your application can randomly get this data anytime and from any thread".

You can retrieve the full set of fields at any time, including on update. Where you have in code

print(marketPrice, UPDATE, update);

you can add

print(marketPrice, "ALLFIELDS", marketPrice.getFields());

or you can also getField(name) at any time, and only get the fields you need, not all couple of hundred of fields in the image.

Another option is creating a separate thread and sampling MarketPrice every second from that thread.

The attached should be helpful in giving you a solid start, allowing to next implement your requirements using it as a working base.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.