Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 2

How to find data fields for python api? Data Item Browser and Formula Builder are incomplete.

The api docs direct us to either the Data Item Browser (DIB) or the Excel add in to discover the fields and parameters available for use in the api (specifically the get_data method).

However take for example the field "TR.IndexConstituentRIC" which frequently appears on this forum, I cannot find this field in either the DIB or the Excel Formula Builder. I can even use it in Excel! But only if I somehow know it exists!

1. Am I doing something wrong which is hiding some fields from me in the DIB?

2. Is there a complete list of available fields somewhere(and if not why not)?

3. Are there any other undocumented data fields people have found or commonly use?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apidata-item-browser
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@oli

You're not doing anything wrong. DIB and Formula Builder in Excel are meant to be the authoritative sources of metadata for use with get_data method of Eikon Data APIs and with =TR function in Eikon Excel. The metadata is a living thing. New fields are being added all the time and sometimes some fields are deprecated. In the latter case these fields are removed from DIB and Formula builder to make them non discoverable, but they're still maintained for backwards compatibility, and people who happened to know about them or who previously used them in their data retrieval calls may continue using them. This is one possible explanation for why certain fields are not found in DIB and Formula Builder. Another explanation is that nothing is perfect. Sometimes fields could be removed unintentionally. If you come across cases, where fields you're interested in are not found in DIB and Formula Builder or where fields that once were available can no longer be discovered and there's no obvious replacement for them, the best course of action is to open a support case with Refinitiv Helpdesk, which can be reached by calling the Helpdesk number in your country, using Contact Us capability in Eikon application or by visiting MyRefinitiv.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.