question

Upvotes
Accepted
11 12 9 14

Migrating application from SSL to ETA; need data from FIELD_LIST_NO in IDN/MarketFeed

We're rewriting an application in ETA since SSL is end of life.

Part of the application logic examines the FIELD_LIST_NO field in the MarketFeed Header.

For example in Record_Response and Snap_Response (340), the record is defined as:

<FS>340<US>TAG<GS>RIC[<RS>R_STATUS]<US>FIELD_LIST_NO<US>RTL{<RS>FID<US>VALUE}<FS>

Some examples of data (using SSL) up to the beginning of the FID/VALUE section are:
<FS>340<US>XX<GS>AAPL.O<US>78<US>15728
<FS>340<US>XX<GS>BB.TO<US>74<US>1296
<FS>340<US>XX<GS>CGBU6m<US>38<US>24080
<FS>340<US>XX<GS>.DJI<US>77<US>3488
<FS>340<US>XX<GS>GOOG.O<US>78<US>20160
<FS>340<US>XX<GS>IBM.N<US>79<US>63344
<FS>340<US>XX<GS>.SPX<US>77<US>46080
<FS>340<US>XX<GS>TRI.N<US>79<US>21376

In these messages, the FIELD_LIST_NO has values of: 38, 74, 77, 78, and 79

The (apparently partial) list of meanings for these fields is:

static const int FieldList_ALL_FUTURES_B = 20;
static const int FieldList_NMTS_NBIDASK = 21;
static const int FieldList_MARKET_INDEX_A = 77;
static const int FieldList_LINK_A = 80;
static const int FieldList_PAGE_25X80 = 82;
static const int FieldList_SPREAD = 83;
static const int FieldList_LONGLINK = 85;
static const int FieldList_CM2000 = 89;

(Of the values seen in the data, the only one that we appear to have a definition or is 77)

In any case, our existing code appears to have particular affinity for types 80 and 85.

Is it possible to recreate this field by extracting one or more values from the various data structures and messages available using the ETA API?

Or did the original author write something using undocumented features of MarketFeed (resulting either some very magic or a bit of cruft -- or both)

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdkrrteta-apielektron-transport-apisslmarket-feed
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,
AHS

Upvote
Accepted
1.5k 5 6 7

The equivalent is the FIELD_LIST_NO which is a attribute of a FIELD_LIST.

In terms of ETA Java it would be something like:

fieldList.fieldListNum()

which returns an int, but is really - as far as I understand - a short. The equivalent method in RFA Java indeed returns a short. Well, well.

You can view the field list number by using TRexplorer.

In the screenshot below you can see an example:

The data item I'm displaying in the screenshot is an IDN Chain. Unsurprisingly it has a field list number of 85 (LONGLINK style chains).

Relying on field list numbers for anything but allocating memory seems to me to be a dangerous strategy so you may want to review why they are used by your application. However if you want to do a 1:1 migration then the above would be what you are looking for.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
11 12 9 14

Thanks!!

It looks like its a field, not a method: (fieldList.fieldListNum), at least in the C API.

It also looks like it's only present when msgCLass is RSSL_MC_REFRESH or
RSSL_MC_UPDATE and updateType is RDM_UPD_EVENT_TYPE_VERIFY.

Just as it was in MarketFeed MsgTypes: 340 and 318

Now, I just have to figure out why they are using that data downstream.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
11 12 9 14

Thanks!!

It looks like its a field, not a method: (fieldList.fieldListNum), at least in the C API.

It also looks like it's only present when msgClass is RSSL_MC_REFRESH or RSSL_MC_UPDATE and updateType is RDM_UPD_EVENT_TYPE_VERIFY.

Just as it was in MarketFeed MsgTypes: 340 and 318

Now, I just have to figure out why they are using that data downstream.

icon clock
10 |1500

Yes, it would only be present (only make sense) in those cases. However I'm under the impression that the API will always populate the field, so if it doesn't arrive on the wire it simply becomes 0. In other words : zero means "not defined".

Also: You would probably have to wait 10 years before you see an example where an open stream changes its fieldListNum in an UPDATE message of type VERIFY but I suppose it can theoretically happen. I would say it is a (almost) static value for the life time of the subscription.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.