question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 2

How to find documentation on SDG data items, FY0, and background source

Hi,

I am using Datastream through Eikon and I am analysing information about the uptake of SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) by companies. In the database there are data items called “SDG1”, “SDG2”…”SDG17”, for which it shows TRUE or FALSE if the company supports the SDG or not. However, the definition/documentation of these data items are not clear to me, so I would like to ask if you know where I can find detailed information about the different parameters/data items in the database? Or whether someone can help answering this directly?

Specifically my questions are these:

• In the data items for SDGs, the definition says: “the country supports SDGX….”, but what does ‘supports’ mean? Does this mean that the company mention the SDG in their annual report or is it based on an internal evaluation by Eikon/Datastream?
  • What year is referred to when I choose “FY0”, is it the same year for all companies, or does it mean the most recent fiscal year, which differs by companies?
  • When I extract ESG data information about a company (e.g. supporting SDGs or not), which source is this based on (e.g. annual report, CSR report, website?)

Thanks!

datastream
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
5.9k 21 2 6

Hi @cahege ,

For content questions such as this one, please ask the Refinitiv Help Desk. I opened a ticket on your question on your behalf and emailed you the details.

I - however - had a look there myself and found the following:

FY0 on Refinitiv Eikon means Latest Fiscal Year available. Eg. If the latest ESG data available for the company in Refinitiv Eikon is for fiscal year 2017, then FY0 refers to 2017. It depends on the companys reporting pattern which might be Jan to Dec or April to March etc.

Yearly ESG scores of a company are available after the completion of its fiscal year. Companies usually publish their financial and non-financial reports (sustainability reports / corporate social responsibility report (CSR)) approximately three months after their fiscal year ends. Some companies publish their sustainability reports with some delay to their filing of financial reports. Once CSR are published, ESG data is processed within 6-8 weeks and the data flows to the products. ESG Scores for companies are then calculated for that particular Fiscal Year.

In addition, please do not hesitate to read our articles on ESG topics. The 'Datastream Sustainable Development Goals Country Scores' might be of particular interest to you.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 1 1 2

Hi @jonathan.legrand

Thanks a lot for your answer and for submitting the ticket, I didn't know that that was a better channel! I'll keep an eye on that.

Cheers!

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.