Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 3 3 5

How can I match multiple ISIN codes to company names in Excel using the Refinitiv Eikon Datastream tool?

Hello, I have a dataset with roughly 20.000 strategic alliances that occurred from 2011 until 2020, retrieved from the SDC platinum database. I want to measure the impact of these strategic alliances on firm financial performance and therefore I need to connect the company names to a measurable company identifier, such as ISIN's.

My dataset has many company names of companies that undertook SA's. How can I connect these company names to ISIN codes all at once? I know how to do it manually, but I have more than 20k observations, making this impossible due to time constraints. I have added some examples of companies that formed alliances below, collected from my SDC platinum database.

I'm really curious if anyone can help me with this as it would tremendously improve my progress for my thesis!!!

Hansen Technologies Ltd
Milestone Software SolutionsSantaris Pharma A/S
Pfizer IncQteros Inc
Praj Industries LtdLigand Pharmaceuticals Inc
Chiva Pharmaceuticals IncDreamWorks Animation SKG Inc
Samsung Electronics Co LtdMeiji Yasuda Life Insurance Co
Haier Group CorpWorld Health Energy Holdings
Deejay GroupGlaxoSmithKline PLC
Epizyme IncMerLion Pharmaceuticals Pte
Nestle SACH Boehringer Sohn AG & Co KG
Eli Lilly & CoNordic Tankers A/S
WOMARStarbucks Corp
Tata Global Beverages LtdStarbucks Corp
Tata Global Beverages LtdLa Caixa
Mutua Madrilena AutomovilistaMerck KGaA
Domain Therapeutics SA

eikoneikon-data-apisymbologyisin
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @lis-tisem-eikon10 ,

I can think of two ways, to potentially automate this map from company names to CUSIPs on your side. Perhaps there is more, let me discuss them:

One is to contact Refinitiv content experts via Refinitiv Helpdesk Online -> Content -> Eikon and have them help creating the list of ISINs for you.

The other is not a surefire simple expression, rather it is an approach to solution, using Eikon/RW Screener tool. You would need to come up with the common characteristics of your list that would allow you to define a screen (or several screen expressions that will cover your list and the result of screen will contain both company names and ISINs (or any other standard identifiers that you require), for example:

screen.gif

More on how to use Eikon/Refinitiv Workspace Screener can be learned from article Find Your Right Companies with SCREENER | Eikon Data APIs(Python).

Once you have obtained the results of your screen (you may have to combine results, from several screens) you will match Company Names from your list with Company Names from the screen results, obtaining standard identifiers that you require.

See this previous discussion thread if you like an example how to pull screener results from Eikon Data APU python.

Hope that this information helps

screen.gif (226.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.