Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 4 8

get data screener --> ticker / symbol translation

for a "get_data" call that pulls in MNA fields with a screener,

how do i get back any semblance of a normal ticker? for AAPL, ... AAPL, or AAPL.O or whatever?

based on searches for querying for MNA, i am able to do this:

data = ek.get_data(

"SCREEN(U(IN(DEALS)),BETWEEN(TR.MnAAnnDate,20220314,20220314))",

[

"TR.MnAAnnDate",

"TR.MnATarget",

"TR.MnATargetPermId",

"TR.MnAAcquiror",

"TR.MnAAcquirorPermId"]

)

to get back useful 'symbols' or 'tickers', based on searches in the developer community, i have tried guesses like:

"TR.ExchangeTicker", (seems to be a real field in other queries)

"TR.TickerSymbol", (seems to be a real field in other queries)
"TR.MnAAcquirorTickerSymbol" (i just guessed at this one)

and so on...

and those fail. is the mna screener instrument list argument somehow leading to an outcome different than other queries that let you specify

"TR.ExchangeTicker", (seems to be a real field in other queries)

"TR.TickerSymbol", (seems to be a real field in other queries)

specifically, can i get or translate what comes back from the query into an actual security i can trade or associate with other data. i see that "MnATargetPermId" comes back. but how do i translate that to a ticker, or some other actually useful identifier?

i would think at worst there should be a translator/adapter for perm id i can call. at most there should be a native field in the screener or query that can deliver something besides permid.

pythonscreener
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @mjg,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
79.2k 251 52 74

@mjg

I checked and found that the Ticker and RIC fields may not be available in the Deals screener. You may need to contact the Eikon Excel or Eikon Screener support team via MyRefinitiv directly to confirm it.

However, you can use Eikon Data API to convert PermIDs to RICs, as shown below.

ek.get_data(list(map(str,  data["Acquiror PermID"].tolist())),["TR.RIC","TR.CommonName"])[0]

However, some companies may not have RICs because they are private companies.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 1 4 8

@Jirapongse thanks for the pointer above.

How do I find other fields with useful information besides

"TR.MnAAnnDate",

"TR.MnATarget",

"TR.MnATargetPermId",

"TR.MnATargetNation",

"TR.MnAAcquiror",

"TR.MnAAcquirorPermId",

"TR.MnAAcquirorNation"

"TR.ExchangeTicker",

"TR.MnaAcquirorTickerSymbol",

I presume there are fields for Deal Price, or Deal Closing Date, and so on. I cannot find anything in Data Item Browser. where should i look to discover other fields I can pull in besides those above?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
79.2k 251 52 74

@mjg

You can use Formula Builder in Eikon Excel. The fields are under Deals -> Mergers & Acquisitions category.

91942-1.png

91942-1.png (86.5 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 1 4 8

is there a difference between Formula Builder in Eikon Excel and the Data Item Browser?

if so, and it is more useful than the Data Item Browswer, How do i get to the n Formula Builder in Eikon Excel screen in eikon?

If so, What is the difference between Formula Builder in Eikon Excel and the Data Item Browser?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.