question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 2 4 8

Using permids in Eikon

If I type the permid for BHP.AX (55835570041) into the Eikon search box it can bring up the company which is great, but it would appear that that is about the extent of the current integration?

Few related questions:

1. Is there any way (without turning to a completely different api like permid.org) of passing in permids when making api requests? Eg I can use "BHP.AX@ric", "6144690@sedol" to pass in different identifier types in TR formulas in Excel, apis etc, but this doesn't seem to work for permid; maybe there is just a different suffix I should be using?
  2. In a similar vein, is there a field to retrieve the permid for a security? You seem to be able to get the organization level permid (TR.OrganiziationID), but I can't find the quote perm id. It must have the data somewhere to be able to match against it when typed in, but I can't find the right field in DIB. Some formulas appear to support returning permids (eg TR.IndexConstituentRIC .indexconstituentpermid), but the data doesn't come back for some indices so you end up having to use rics anyway.
  3. The existing symbology search supports a number of different identifiers but not permid. That seems somewhat strange.

I guess I'm comparing Eikon in this regard to say Bloomberg where the equivalent unique identifier can used as an instrument identifier in the api (using /bbgid/ prefix), and requested as a field (id_bb_global). It seems odd for TR not to embrace their own symbology for their terminal product, perhaps this is in the works?

eikonpermid-apiintelligent-tagging-apiopen-permid-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Hi @Charles,

Yes, it is indeed in the works. Adapting all the systems that support a mammoth data operations, like the one Thomson Reuters is running, to support a new symbology is a monumental task, which cannot be done overnight.

As of today in addition to what you've mentioned you can use organization level permID in =TR function to retrieve fundamental and reference data, e.g. =TR(4295856983,"TR.CompanyName;TR.Revenue").
Similarly you can use organization level permID in DEX2 library.

You're absolutely right to say that as of today quote level permID is of very limited use in Eikon. Well, Chrome wasn't built in a day. ;-)

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi Alex, thanks for the response. Good to hear it's in the pipeline - guess I was just hoping there was a pre-existing api field that I had missed. Mostly because you can enter a quote permid in the gui so I figured the data is in there somewhere...

Out of interest, is there a corresponding suffix available for org permids (as per @ric, @sedol etc) for disambiguation?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.