Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
0 2 4 7

I'm using GET_DATA etc. and getting back delayed quotes/prices/... What do I need to do to get real time data? Do I have to use Websocket API ?

eikon-data-apipython api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

hi @vlad.dimanshteyn ,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?
If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,
AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
17.2k 82 39 63

Hi @vlad.dimanshteyn

You can use the following statement to get your constituents:

option_chain,err = ek.get_data('0#SPX*.U', ['CF_NAME'])

ahs.png

And to get your real-time data, try something like this: (Note: The Pricing interface / WebSocket service has a limitation when making a single request - so you will have to break up the request into buckets - in the example below, I'm using a value of 100).

ahs.png

ahs.png (53.1 KiB)
ahs.png (74.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I'm doing that already Nick, that's why I provided the code !!!! The issue I'm having is that the data I get back is delayed and I want it real time !!!! What do I need to do to get real time data using that code????? Thanks
Oh sorry, its different code that you modified, I missed that stream thing. Thanks so much, I will try it.

Nick,

I need Web Socket Service for this as I understand, is that correct? That's a separate subscription that I need to get, right? I do no have Refinitiv library to do

from refinitiv.data.content import pricing

I just have Eikon library

Thanks so much for your help

Hi @vlad.dimanshteyn

The refinitiv.data library should be available to you. You can refer to the learning material on our dev portal for more details: Refinitiv Data Library for Python. I believe you should have streaming services as part of your license - I would try one of the basic tutorials within the link I provided.

Also, you can try one of the pricing examples within CodeBook - under the __Examples__ folder, you can navigate down to many examples - the one I'm referring to is: EX_01_01_11_Content_Pricing_Streaming. If you can successfully execute that example, you are good to go.

Thank you sir for those last 2 messages. I really appreciate it. As long as I can do from refinitiv.data.content import pricing

I should be fine. May have to install that package. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know. We have your data company wide, we dropped Bloomberg so I would think I have license needed.

Hi Nick,

1 last question. I also need to get weekly SPX option chain. Its about 13,000 items. When I run:

option_chain, err = ek.get_data('0#SPXW*.U', ['CF_NAME'])

it times out. What options do I have to get weekly SPX option chain? Can I use a filter to pull only a subset of them?

Thanks so much Nick

Hi @vlad.dimanshteyn

Does the request to retrieve this option chain always fail? I don't know if it may fall into the category of data limits or if there is a backend issue. I think it would be best if you were to post this as a separate question as I think it will involve more than a few comments here :-). Thanks.

Upvotes
17.2k 82 39 63

Hi @vlad.dimanshteyn

If you want to get real-time data, I would suggest you look at the pricing cache example which subscribes to data and allows the ability to pull out live data from the cache.

icon clock
10 |1500

Currently I use:

option_chain, err = ek.get_data('0#SPX*.U', ['TRADE_DATE', 'ACVOL_1'])

option_data_block, err = ek.get_data(instruments =option_chain['Instrument'].tolist(), fields=['PUTCALLIND', 'TRDPRC_1', 'BID', 'ASK', 'TRADE_DATE', 'SALTIM', 'STRIKE_PRC', 'EXPIR_DATE'])

undelying_price, err = ek.get_data('.SPX', ['CF_LAST'])

Are you saying Nick that I can not use those 3 statements to get real time option data and the price of underlying?

I need to get those field real time !!!!

How do I do that?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.