Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 0

Smart Estimates Multiple comes in string format

I would like to create a dcf calculation for all members of the S&P500. I want to calculate the terminal bvalue using the EV/FCF Smart Estimate multiple. The problem is that the values are strings containing spaces between each number that are not visible and cannot be removed. (can’t convert data type)

df_Data, err = ek.get_data(

instruments = df_RICList,

fields = ['TR.Close.Date','TR.Close','TR.F.TotCurrAssets','TR.F.TotCurrLiab','TR.F.NetCashFlowOp','TR.TotalDebtToEV','TR.TURNOVER','TR.F.ActualROA','TR.F.GrossProfMarg','TR.F.DebtTot','TR.WACC','TR.F.ComShrOutsTot(Period=FY0)','TR.EVtoFCFSmartEst(Period=FY3)','TR.FCFMean(Period=FY0)','TR.FCFMean(Period=FY1)','TR.FCFMean(Period=FY2)',

'TR.FCFMean(Period=FY3)','TR.FCFMean(Period=FY4)'],

parameters = {

'Curn': 'Native',

'SDate': '2021-01-01',

'EDate': '2022-01-01',

'Frq': 'Y'})

Is there a solution for this problem or an alternative?

screenshot1.png

python apidata-type
screenshot1.png (271.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @schoeced ,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,
AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @schoeced ,

I have run the code excerpt, with a short RIC list:

df_RICList = ['IBM.N','VOD.L','LSEG.L']

The result looks like this on my side:

nans.gif

I see strings that are prices and some strings that are NaNs. Is this what you see as well?

If that is the case, you could convert this column to floats, introducing a new column, something like:

df_Data['floatEV'] = df_Data['EV / Free Cash Flow (SmartEstimate ®)'].astype(float)
df_Data['floatEV']

Resulting in (may also optionally increase display precision) :

floatev.gif

You can consequently also drop rows with NaNs if they are not relevant for your required calculation, or replace them with 0s if that is more convenient.

Let us know if this helps, or if you were looking for something different?

nans.gif (24.0 KiB)
floatev.gif (87.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.