Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 4

Pulling Lipper fund holdings for a large list of RIC instruments using Eikon API (python)

Hello, I need to pull Lipper fud holdings for a list of more than 4000 RIC Instrument. I am using the code copied below, but i get Expected timeout error.

Is it possible to pull these data with only one code?

df0, err = ek.get_data(RIC_list0, ['TR.FundHoldingRIC','TR.FundHoldingName',

'TR.FundLatestFilingDate','TR.FundNumberOfShares',

'TR.FundNumberOfSharesChanged','TR.FundPercentageOfFundAssets'],

{'Endnum':'5000'})

df0

eikon-data-apipython#technologyfundslipper
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @RamadanEA ,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?
If so please can you click the 'Accept' text on the left side of the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,
AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,
AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
1.6k 3 2 3

Hi @RamadanEA , I am not sure if I understand your need for "with only one code". If you mean you want pull the data fund by fund, yes, you just need to replace the RIC_list0 in your code by the RIC string of the fund (e.g.: 'LP60000012') one by one.

Hence, you loop the list of RICs in your original RIC_list0, and call the ek.get_data one RIC code at a time in the loop and process the data fund by fund.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

hi @bob.lee Thank you so much for your reply. I am beginner to coding and still have not been better in looping. Would you please how to write the code as you explained.

The code I posted worked after I tried rerunning it several time, but I am really interested to see how to use for loop in this case. I have tried to do it, but I could not.

Your help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Ebtehal

Hi @RamadanEA , I think this is a Python coding question that this forum is not the best place to ask. I am not an expert on Python, but I think you can try the loop below:

results = pd.DataFrame([])
for RIC in RIC_list0:
  df0, err = ek.get_data(RIC, ['TR.FundHoldingRIC','TR.FundHoldingName','TR.FundLatestFilingDate','TR.FundNumberOfShares','TR.FundNumberOfSharesChanged','TR.FundPercentageOfFundAssets'],{'Endnum':'5000'})
  results = results.append(df0)
results

The data-frame variable: results should contains all the fund's holdings data in it after the loop. However, if you got a long list of funds, it is very inefficient (may got memory issue if the data set is too large) to keep appending data to data-frame. If you can write (append) the data to a file within the loop rather than keep appending to the "results" variable, it is better to do so using file.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.