Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
7 1 1 5

Eikon Python API returning different value on same data item for same day

Hi,

I have a ek.get_data() script, and it's returning different values for the same data item for the same trading day if I specify a date range, but it's fine if I only specify one day in the same script:

df_ric_ts, err_ric_ts = ek.get_data(['AIBGY.PK'],
                                    ['TR.PriceClose.date; TR.PriceClose; TR.TotalReturnYTD; TR.TotalReturnMTD; '
                                     'TR.TotalReturnQTD; TR.TotalReturn6Mo, TR.CompanyMarketCap; TR.PE; TR.PriceToBVPerShare; '
                                     'TR.PriceToTangBVPerShare; '
                                     'TR.FwdPEG; TR.BasicNormalizedEps.date; TR.BasicNormalizedEPS; '
                                     'TR.LTDebtToTtlCapitalPct; TR.TtlDebtToTtlEquityPct'],
                                    {'SDate': '2023-03-01', 'EDate': '2023-02-15', 'CURN': 'USD', 'FRQ': 'D'})

The result of above script gives me below value:

1677772679105.png

It's a partial screenshot, but you can see, the return column and market cap column are all having different values for same day, 2/23, 2/21 and 2/13.

If I only specify one day like below for 2/23:

df_ric_ts, err_ric_ts = ek.get_data(['AIBGY.PK'],
                                    ['TR.PriceClose.date; TR.PriceClose; TR.TotalReturnYTD; TR.TotalReturnMTD; '
                                     'TR.TotalReturnQTD; TR.TotalReturn6Mo, TR.CompanyMarketCap; TR.PE; TR.PriceToBVPerShare; '
                                     'TR.PriceToTangBVPerShare; '
                                     'TR.FwdPEG; TR.BasicNormalizedEps.date; TR.BasicNormalizedEPS; '
                                     'TR.LTDebtToTtlCapitalPct; TR.TtlDebtToTtlEquityPct'],
                                    {'SDate': '2023-02-23', 'EDate': '2023-02-23', 'CURN': 'USD', 'FRQ': 'D'})

print(df_ric_ts)

Below is the result:

1677772906257.png

Why is that?

Plus I have asked this to the helpdesk/support team, and they recommend me here to ask this question. Thank you.

eikon#product#contentpython api
1677772679105.png (58.0 KiB)
1677772906257.png (14.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@rgustin

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in answering your question?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
166 2 1 3

In short, the data of price related column you retrieved depend only on the close price of the RIC ‘AIBGY.PK’. While the result of "Company Market Cap" - a company level market_cap instead of instrument level market_cap comes from the aggregated calculation of all RICs whose underlying is "AIBG.I" .

Meanwhile, the TR.PriceClose.date as shared date of the DataFrame made it even confusing.

You can try with following code to separate date for close price and market_cap and see the difference.

aibg.png

aibg.png (38.4 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.