question

Upvotes
Accepted
31 0 0 4

Where to get a historical name change database?

For example Office Depot is not called Office Depot anymore, and instead ODP, problem is that the old data still has to be mapped to ticker via name combination, so without these historical name changes, I am not sure how it could be done.

#product#contentsymbologyexchangessymbol-list
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
73 0 1 5

GLEIF L1 data has a previousLegalName (or alternatively daily deltas for at least 10 years) but that broadens your task of mapping from name to LEI (not strictly unique) and from LEI to permid.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
78.2k 246 52 72

@d.snow

Please let us know what PermIDs that you are referring to.

I don't think that the PermIDs can provide a historical name change database.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
31 0 0 4

Hi @hroptatyr so good to hear from you again, hope you have been doing well. I just had a lot of fun exploring that data, I went via a ISIN US first two letter combination, and I added it to the bloomberg data you shared in the past. GLEIF also helped me to get parent and child names. I also discovered the GLEIF api. Thanks again mate!

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.