Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 1

Historical Options Data

Hello, I am looking to get historical options data for QQQ Call and Puts for different strikes through the API, what's the best way to get it?

#producthistorical
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @christopher02

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvote
Accepted
1.4k 5 3 6

Hi @christopher02,

Expired options are not avaialable via RDP search. For the ones that are not expired you can use:

import refinitiv.data as rd
rd.open_session()

rd.discovery.search(
view=rd.discovery.Views.DERIVATIVE_QUOTES,
filter = "UnderlyingQuoteRIC eq 'QQQ.O' and CallPutOption eq 'Call' and DerivedCategory eq 'OPTION' and ExpiryDate lt 2023-11-05",
select="RIC,ExpiryDate",
top=100
)

However, the expired options code can be pulled up using the following syntax and the reference from the quote RULES2 (pasted below)

RIC Root + Strike Price + Month code + Year code + Exchange Identifier + ^ + Expiry Month + Expiry Year

1. RIC root - QQQ
2. Put Month (January) - M >> use RULES2
3. 21 - date of the expiry
4. 22 - year of expiry 2022
5.338+00 - Strike price
6. .U - exchange suffix ( opra)
7 ^A22 - January and decade of 2022'

QQQM212233800.U^A22 > PUT - QQQ 100 @ 338 EXP 01/21/2022

rules2.png

rules2.png (29.4 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 0 0 1

Thank you for the note. I was able to retrieve the historical prices based on option tickers. But I am noticing that data is incomplete for certain option tickers. For Example in the screenshot below,

Option ticker QQQ_P_2023-03-17_253 the Close price is unavailable for 12/23/2022 and so are the expiry date option price on 3/17/2023

Option ticker QQQ_P_2020-11-27_255 has Close price of 5.89 for 10/30/2020 but expiry week prices are unavailable (Sell_Expiry,Sell_T1,Sell_T2)

Can you help me understand how best to interpret this and to retrieve full price data?

historical-opt-prices.png

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @christopher02,

This is a content query and the best resource for this type of questions is the support team, which can be reached by submitting queries through MyRefinitv.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.