Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 4

Eikon to Workspace API

Hi, i currently use Eikon Desktop and have a C# application that communicates with the API. The following code is used:

EikonDesktopDataAPI.EikonDesktopDataAPI m_edapi = new EikonDesktopDataAPI.EikonDesktopDataAPI();

EEikonDataAPIInitializeResult l_apiInitResult = m_edapi.Initialize();

Right now I'm trying to migrate to Workspace, but the legacy Eikon Desktop is always opened automatically (even if Workspace is already opened) when the Initialize()-part is running. How to tell the API to use Workspace instead of Eikon Desktop?

eikon-data-apiworkspace-data-api#product
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@titz.stefan

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,
AHS

Upvote
Accepted
79.2k 251 52 74

@titz.stefan

The API that you are using is Eikon COM which is not available in Refinitiv Workspace.

Therefore, you can't use Eikon COM applications with Refinitiv Workspace.

To retreive data from Refinitiv Workspace, you need to develop a new application with Refinitiv Data Library for .NET or for Python.

You can refer to the Migrating COM API calls to Python article.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
142 2 1 3

Hello @titz.stefan

When migrating from Eikon to Refinitiv workspace, I recommend using the Refinitiv packages to avoid any unintended side effects or limitations. You can find them here:

Refinitiv.Data - NuGet Gallery | Refinitiv.Data 1.0.0-beta5

Refinitiv.Data.Content - NuGet Gallery | Refinitiv.Data.Content 1.0.0-beta5

You will also have to install the Refinitiv Workspace for Desktop.

You can find it here: Refinitiv Workspace - Download

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 1 4

Thank you. On a new computer with Refinitiv Workspace and the packages you provide, I get the following error message when compiling the code:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: "Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID { {70B3E69B-E207-412E-8A27-E94A01F96728} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (exception of HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))."

I checked the Windows registry, the class ID does not exist. On my other computer, I found the class ID in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\EikonDesktopDataAPILib.EikonDesktopDataAPI.

Do I have to Install Eikon Desktop Data API? After looking for it, I found the following link:

https://developers.lseg.com/en/api-catalog/eikon/eikon-data-api/download

There is the note:

"Starting with Eikon version 4.0.36, the Eikon Data API is fully integrated into

Eikon for Windows."

Does it mean that I have to install Eikon Desktop? How do I ensure that the API calls are processed by Workspace?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.