question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 1 6

What type of durability EMA has?

Hi All,

We subscribed for financial market data through a batch request to EMA. What happens when the update message is ready but the consumer is busy with another API call to consume some other data?

When I ask this query, consider I didn't mean disconnection between the Refintiv and EMA.

Does Refinitiv internally follow any queueing method to store the OMM messages until it's delivered? Does refinitiv expects a delivery acknowledgment? Are those to be configurable parameters? What' the durability of message delivery with EMA?

How long the message can stay/retain with provider until a successful delivery?

It would be great if I can get some clarity or suitable resource links to read more about it?

I read on about the below configuration params in EmaConfig.xml, but I'm not sure how to find sources of read for the above doubts? Requesting some experts eye on this.

Please feel free to ask any other information required except asking to contact market data account manager. A developer is coming here for help once he doesn't seem to get any right information around.

Thanks.

#technologyommconsumer
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @Aalim ,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thank you,

AHS

@Aalim

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
22.1k 59 14 21

Hi @Aalim,

An update message is queued within the SDK buffers until it gets processed by the application. The number and size of these buffers can be configured within the EMA. Once these buffers are at capacity, the backlog starts happening at the market data infrastructure. And once those buffers are at capacity, the consumer application is disconnected from the system. We describe this situation as a "slow consumer".

How long the message can stay/retain with provider until a successful delivery?

Depends on the update rate of open subscriptions and how long it takes for these buffers to fill up.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1. Thanks. An update message is queued within the SDK buffers until it gets processed by the application. - SDK buffers refers here Refintiv NIprovider or IProvider here (Interactive/Non-interactive)?

2. The number and size of these buffers can be configured within the EMA. - Do you refer these are configurable parameters in EMAConfig.xml? If so could you point me to the developer to read or to any resources?

3. Market data infrastructure - ADS or ADH or Market data provider? Please add more clarity for better understanding.

Should I refer EMAJ_ConfigGuide or EMAJ_DevGuide to better understand these concepts or Or any other blogs would also help us? I read those documents at a high level but these docs all about what is what type of answers. In fact, I tried to find something related to these questions in this Q&A forum then raised it as Query.

<AHS>

Hi @Gurpreet ,

Could you please check the follow-up question from the user. Thanks in advance.

SDK buffers refers here Refintiv NIprovider or IProvider here (Interactive/Non-interactive)?

No it refer to the buffers build into the EMA SDK, which your consumer application uses. There are similar buffers for providers which may/maynot be used depending on how your RTMDS caching is setup. When I refer to RTMDS, it may mean ADS, ADH or Edge server or RTC - and this really depends on how your particular setup is configured. It is entirely possible to connect your consumer to ADS/ADH or provider directly or any combination of these components, with caching and buffering within different layers. The exact answer will depend on your particular setup.

From consumers perspective - which I think you are asking here, the SDK buffers in EMAConfig.xml are the only ones that you can control.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.