question

Upvotes
Accepted
19 1 1 4

Company Delisting Study

Output.csv.zip

Greetings!

I am writing to seek your expertise in enhancing a sophisticated codebase designed to extract Reference Instrument Codes (RICs) from the three principal U.S. exchange markets: NASDAQ, NYSE, and NYSE American. This code efficiently retrieves both historical and current data, focusing on detailed information regarding bankruptcies, encompassing descriptions, announcement dates, effective dates, closing prices during the relevant periods, and deal synopses.

Upon utilization, I have observed discrepancies in the output presentation, particularly with the misalignment of the announcement and effective dates. Additionally, there appears to be a uniformity issue where each RIC is inaccurately displaying identical deal histories, irrespective of their unique event timelines.

I am aiming to resolve these issues to enhance analytical accuracy, particularly in tracking historical company delistings and assessing their post-restructuring performance. My specific inquiries are as follows:

1. What modifications are necessary to ensure the announcement and effective dates are accurately placed within the output?

2. How can I rectify the issue of identical event histories across different RICs to enable precise analysis of each company's unique events?

3. What improvements can be implemented to enhance the readability and functionality of the output table, especially considering future expansions to incorporate logic based on bankruptcy flags and closing price data?

Your insights on these matters would be invaluable in refining the code's effectiveness and precision. I look forward to your guidance and am prepared to provide any additional information required.

import refinitiv.data as rd
import pandas as pd

rd.open_session()

results = rd.discovery.search(
    view=rd.discovery.Views.EQUITY_QUOTES,
    top=500,
    filter="(IssuerOAPermID eq '5048094456' and RCSAssetCategoryLeaf eq 'Ordinary Share')",
    select="RIC, DTSubjectName, RCSAssetCategoryLeaf, ExchangeName, ExchangeCountry"
)

df = results

substrings = ['.OQ', '.N', '.A', '.PK', '.PQ']

def is_valid_ric(ric):
    for ending in substrings:
        if ending in ric:
            pos = ric.find(ending)
            if len(ric) == pos + len(ending) or (len(ric) > pos + len(ending) and ric[pos + len(ending)] == '^'):
                return True
    return False

filtered_df = df[df['RIC'].apply(is_valid_ric)]

rics = filtered_df['RIC'].tolist()

START_DATE = "2020-04-30"
END_DATE = "2024-12-31"

df_history = rd.get_history(
    universe=rics,
    fields=[
        "TR.MnAHasBankruptcy",
        "TR.PPBankruptcyFilingDate",
        "TR.PPHasFiledForBankruptcy",
        "TR.IsDelistedQuote",
        "TR.PriceClose",
        "TR.MnAAnnDate",
        "TRADE_DATE",
        "TR.MNASynopsis",
        "TR.MnAStatus",
        "TR.MnADateUnconditional",
        "TR.RetireDate"
    ],
    parameters={
        'SDate': START_DATE,
        'EDate': END_DATE,
        'Frq': 'D'
    }
)

print(df_history)

df_history.to_csv("./Delisting_Case_Study/Merged_Delisting-Case.csv")

rd.close_session()

pythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api#technologyrfa-api#contentdatapython apicodebook
outputcsv.zip (11.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @vitali

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so, can you please click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks, AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
79.2k 251 52 74

@vitali

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I assume that this question is similar to the question posted in this discusssion.

I need to add my concerns regarding the code.

According to the code, you requested fields from the different categories.

fields=[
        "TR.MnAHasBankruptcy",
        "TR.PPBankruptcyFilingDate",
        "TR.PPHasFiledForBankruptcy",
        "TR.IsDelistedQuote",
        "TR.PriceClose",
        "TR.MnAAnnDate",
        "TRADE_DATE",
        "TR.MNASynopsis",
        "TR.MnAStatus",
        "TR.MnADateUnconditional",
        "TR.RetireDate"
    ],

For example:

• TRADE_DATE is in the Real Time category
  • TR.PriceClose is in the Price & Volume category
  • TR.RetireDate is in the Reference & Identifiers category

Each category supports different sets of parameters. For example, the Real Time and Reference & Identifiers categories don't support the SDate, EDate, and Frq parameters. Therefore, the data can be misaligned if the application requests those fields together.

I would like to suggest that each request should contains fields within the same category. For more information, please contact the helpdesk team directly via MyRefinitiv. The support team can help you categorizing those fields and parameters.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you a lot, for providing the details!

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.