Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 1

Is it possible to pull up a capital change event (Buyback, Stock Split, etc) in Python with the Event ID used as a search criteria?

We have a user who is trying to pull all the Buyback and Stock Split events for RIC 7203.T but it appears that the script is just outright pulling the data from 2000-latest for each field. For instance, a Buyback event with event ID <73016304666 > is returning values for TR.CATermsNewShares and TR.CATermsOldShares which indicate that an event is a Stock Split, which appears to be the data for a Stock Split Event with an event ID <73074895232>

Here's the script we are using:

import refinitiv.data as rd

rd.get_data(

universe=['7203.T'],

fields=[

'TR.CACorpActDate.capitalchangeeventid',

'TR.CARecordDate.capitalchangeeventid',

'TR.CAExDate.capitalchangeeventid',

'TR.CAAdjustmentType',

'TR.CACorpActEventType',

'TR.CAAnnouncementDate',

'TR.CACorpActDate',

'TR.CARecordDate',

'TR.CAEffectiveDate',

'TR.CAExDate',

'TR.CARescindedDate',

'TR.CATermsOldShares',

'TR.CATermsNewShares',

'TR.CATotalNewShares',

'TR.CASharesSought',

'TR.CASharesSoughtPercentage',

'TR.CACorpActDesc'

],

parameters={'sdate': '2000-01-01', 'edate': '0D', 'sorta':'TR.CACorpActDate'})

Analytics team has confirmed that they do not replicate the issue. In Eikon Excel this is not also replicable, the Buyback event ID <73016304666> does not return any value for TR.CATermsNewShares and TR.CATermsOldShares.

pythonworkspace#technologycodebookrefinitiv-data-librariescorporate-events
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@abbie.fesalbon01

Just to confirm, the data (TR.CATermsNewShares and TR.CATermsOldShares) returning for ID: 73074895232 should in instead associated with ID: 73016304666? And the Analytics team and Eikon Excel reports it differently? Meaning correctly? If so, can you please provide the Eikon Excel formula. Thanks.

Hello @abbie.fesalbon01

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

@abbie.fesalbon01

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvote
Accepted
17.4k 82 39 63

Hi @shinohara-yuki

Thank you for the clarification. I can see there is a difference between the desktop and platform sessions. As a further test, I used the Data Library for .Net to see if there was any difference - and I observed the exact same behavior in Python. As a final confirmation, I sent the request via the 'dataGrid' endpoint, which is the underlying call when connecting to a platform session. And I see this:

1712348764928.png this confirm it has nothing to do with the API/library but rather the data service.

I would suggest you open a content ticket within the Support Desk and reference this question. Ensure you reference what you see in Excel and the above screenshot that demonstrates how the endpoint in the Playground produces a different result.

1712348764928.png (69.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 0 0 1

Hi @nick.zincone thanks for your prompt reply. sorry for the confusion, ID 73016304666 is returning the data that is for ID 73074895232 which should not happen because they are two different events. Analytics team confirmed that ADC and Eikon Excel is not doing this problem, only codebook.

Here's the formula in Excel:

=RDP.Data("7203.T","TR.CARecordDate.capitalchangeeventid;TR.CATermsOldShares;TR.CATermsNewShares;TR.CACorpActEventType;TR.CAAnnouncementDate","Sdate=2000-08-30 CH=Fd RH=IN")

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
17.4k 82 39 63

Hi @abbie.fesalbon01

Might be useful to include some screenshots of the data to better understand. For example, I see this in Excel:

1712095174855.png

And this in CodeBook using your formula:

1712095219365.png

Can you explain what I should be looking for?

1712095174855.png (6.7 KiB)
1712095219365.png (23.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 0

refinitiv-png-240403.pngrefinitiv-png-240403.png

Hi @abbie.fesalbon01, thank you for inquiring on my behalf.

From what I have confirmed, it seems that the results of the output may vary depending on whether you use a desktop session or a platform session.

I will attach two screenshots : one for when using a platform session and the other for when using a desktop session. Both use the CODEBOOK.

As you can see, when using a platform session, the corporate action data returns undesirable results in some columns. However, when using a desktop session, the data is returned correctly.

Regarding the Excel Add-In, since it is using a desktop session, there are no issues with the returned data.

In terms of data retrieval, I prefer to use the platform session.

What could be the cause of the abnormalities in the data returned by the platform session?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.