Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 0

Is Client_ID and Client_Secret the exact same thing as App Key in RDP?

I need to retrieve the Client Number, Client Secret, and App Key to be able to use an API in Python. I was recently referred to APPKEY with the steps below:

Refer to the steps below to generate the App Key:
1. Type in APPKEY in the search bar
2. Select Eikon Data API checkbox for generating an AppKey.
3. Click the ‘Register’ New App button

Note: To get data, you will have to use either Eikon or Refinitiv Workspace. Web version cannot be used in the python API.

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/80091/app-key-creation-from-the-refinitiv-workspace-web.html

There is however an application called CodeBook available, which is also accessible from Workspace Web. It is a Jupyter hosted environment in the cloud which can allow you to build program using Python. Type on CODEBOOK to launch it.

Note: Codebook uses its own appkey - DEFAULT_CODE_BOOK_APP_KEY

However, I still need the Client Secret and I was advised that its value is the same with the App Key. Is this updated and still true? If not, how can I retrieve the Client Number/ID and Client Secret?

#technologypython api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
24.3k 62 15 21

Hi @Eugene Torres,

If you are using Eikon/Workspace or Codebook, you do not need the Client Secret.

Client_ID and Client_Secret is used for v2 authentication with Data Platform (RDP) or Realtime Optimized (RTO) streaming data.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.