Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
16 1 2 4

API Not Returning Full Set of Results from Code

eikon-api-script-screen.pngHello,

As part of a research project, I am tasked with pulling date, time, and event data (i.e. event type) for earnings calls put out by a number of different companies dating back to 2001. When I run a query within the regular Thomson Eikon application, I am able to retrieve the data fine. However, when I run the following code through the API, it only returns data dating back ~5 years:

ek.get_data('MMM.N',['TR.EventStartDate','TR.EventType','TR.EventTitle'], {'EventType':'ECall','SDate':'20000101','EDate':'20171001'})

The above is for 3M, but the idea is to be able to utilize a script to get this information as opposed to logging in to Thomson, inputting search criteria, waiting for an excel file to be generated, etc. I have also attached a screenshot of the results for reference. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this is my first time working with Python and the Eikon API.

Thanks,

-Chris

eikoneikon-data-apipythonworkspacerefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspace-data-apiapifieldsapi-limits
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 78 11 27

The Web service that returns company events limits the response to a single request to the max timespan of 5 years. If you need events history for a longer period you need to split your request into multiple, each with SDate and EDate parameters no more than 5 years apart.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
18.7k 85 39 63

Hi @brunett_chri,

I was able to replicate what you are seeing. As a test, I tried changing the end date to say: '20101001' and noticed the data set returned started at 2005 so it seems the data is there but what is returned is limited.

I will raise the question to the product group.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.