Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
7 4 3 6

Which Eikon API is best suite for pulling Real time and Historical data?

Hi,

I'm new to Eikon API. Currently, I'm trying to explore which Eikon API will be the best suited for the below requirements

Collecting Real-time data

bid,ask,last,volume

historical data

open, high, low, close, volume for 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day

I've done some investigating about all the Eikon API. But I'm unclear about how the performance would range between those.

Thanks in Advance,

Jay

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apirefinitiv-realtimehistorical
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Hi Jay,
Currently there's only one Eikon API that can deliver all the content you require and that is Eikon .NET API.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
7 4 3 6

@Alex Putkov. Thanks for the Answer.

As per the doc here it says

APIs in this SDK have a run time dependency on Eikon and require that Eikon application is running with the user signed on to be able to retrieve data from Eikon. If Eikon application is not running, it can be automatically launched by this SDK.

Which I always need to install the Eikon App studio (Desktop App) on my machine to get the data.? Is there any other way to run the API without any installation. I'm aware that Ekion APP studio is also available for the web service. Maybe this can help. Not Sure!

My little concern if my application is going to production. My prod server also need to install the Eikon App Studio?

icon clock
10 |1500

@jayendrana
It would be very helpful if you could give me a high level overview of your use case. Is the application you're looking to build a desktop application, a Web application running on a Web server, an enterprise service application, a mobile application or something else? What is the purpose of this application with regard to the use of Thomson Reuters data: to display the data to end users, to feed it to an enterprise database or enterprise applications? Is the target audience end users within your organization, end users outside your company or enterprise applications or processes?

@Alex Putkov.My use case is like

1 Building an enterprise application

2. Purpose to pull real-time data and historical data upto 1min/1hour/1 day,the real time data would be shown in our UI. The historical data would be feed into the enterprise database.

3. the target end users will be outside of our company(enterprise applications)

I've also need to provide some assessment regarding the performance

How could i do that? By calculating the timestamp from the Ekion .Net API and the Ekion App Studio timestamp. Is this right way to do that?

Then Eikon is definitely not the right product for you. Eikon is an end user product and according to standard terms of contract any data retrieved from Eikon can only be utilized for user's individual use. Contractually you cannot use data retrieved from Eikon in any kind of enterprise or multiuser application. I suggest you contact your Thomson Reuters account manager, who can help you select the right products for your use case and ensure that the data usage license granted with those products covers the manner in which you will be utilizing the data.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.