question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 1 3

Calculating Consistent Total Return Across Exchanges

I'm trying to calculate total return consistently across exchanges and I can't seem to do it correctly.

Some exchanges\companies (US only?) will provide a adjusted close (ADJUST_CLS, CFS_CLOSE) that's equal to a dividend per share and others won't.

While there is a field to get the dividend ExDate, there doesn't seem to be a field to get a non annualized dividend (i.e. last dividend paid). Am I missing something or do I need to pull in the last dividend from a another source to calculate this correctly?

For clarity I'm using the standard formula to calculate total return -: ((Last Price - Previous Close [nonadjusted]) + Dividend)/Previous Close

datarkd-apirkd
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ask @wim.ooms to help the client.

Sent an email to Shaikh Waseem and Nitesh Saha asking to provide a response.

Hello @wim.ooms, could you please help the client regarding this question?

<AHS Only>

I've sent an email to TRKD_API_DEVSUPPORT@thomsonreuters.com instead and cc-d @wim.ooms in the loop.

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
1.9k 7 10 16

Please see the answer from our Online Solutions team:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you need total return, this is the formula: (Invested price-/+ disinvestment price) + Dividend return in the period investment was active.

Using just the price close and last dividend payment would not give you the right number unless if your investment period was before the last dividend ex-date and right after the latest div payment(max to count on a quarter) is US-listed or any regular dividend paying company.

Suggestion is that you can look for Dividend payments for the related period of their investment and the dividend payments within those periods using the fundamentals/street events service. please do remember to adjust for corporate actions in the time period as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, this query seems to relate to data/content rather than TRKD technical usage, the best and speediest way to receive an answer is to open a content-related query via Get Support or to call our Help Desk directly.

Hope this helps.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.