Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 3

Dealing with historical RICs for inactive stocks?

Hello,

I have a list of RICs for global stocks, originally from TRTH v1. I want to use the Eikon Python API to pull historical fundamentals data for these RICs. However, some of the companies are active and some are now inactive. I have discovered that Eikon adds a suffix beginning in ^ to inactive stocks. For example, Dell's RIC is DELL.O in TRTH, but in Eikon its RIC is now DELL.O^J13, indicating that Dell went private in October 2013. If I use the historical Dell RIC (DELL.O) in API requests, I get errors for most functions, e.g. get_data fails (even for periods before the company went private). Is it somehow possible to input the historical RICs from TRTH into get_data requests, perhaps using an option/parameter? Failing that, is it possible to programmatically convert the historical RICs to their new Eikon RICs for inactive stocks? I have a long list of companies, so doing this manually would be painful.

Thank you,

Mark

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apirics
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
4.6k 26 7 22

@mrkwlls try this:

tr.get_symbology(['DELL.O'], to_symbol_type='RIC')

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks Zhenya. Much appreciated. This works for many RICs. However, I am still getting an error 'No best match available' for some RICs. For example, AAG.AX fails with this error. I have tried using send_json_request with SymbologySearch and bestmatchonly=false, but it still fails. The problem appears to be that there are two potential candidates for AAG.AX (AAG.AX^E11 and AAG.AX^C96). Is there a way to specify the time period for a get_symbology request? E.g. if I could say what does AAG.AX map into in 2011?

@mrkwlls
I'm afraid I cannot think of any way to do what you're asking for using Eikon. Hopefully the list of exceptions is not too big after you got the delisted RICs using the method suggested by Zhenya.
What you could do perhaps is get ISINs instead of RICs from TRTH, and then use Eikon to retrieve RICs, e.g. ek.get_data('AU000000AAG0','TR.RIC') returns AAG.AX^E11.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.