question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 1 2

VBA - Run and update TR Eikon data

Hello,

I have been asked to create a solution to open a specific workbook that contains TR Eikon information that is being queried using the TR Eikon Add-in in Excel.

I have created a wrapper workbook that will open the workbook in question and refresh the data. After the refresh it save a copy of one of the sheets in the workbook for future reference.

I have tested this by manually opening the wrapper sheet and this works fine. The source worksheet is loaded, the TR Eikon addin logs in succesfully and data is refreshed.

When I do this using a scheduled task when the user is not logged in, the TR Eikon addin does not login, status remain Waiting for Login (as checked with the PL Sync Manager API) eventhough the user that is used to run the scheduled task is the same user as the one I used for manual testing, so credentials should be available for TR Eikon addin to login.

Is it possible to run Excel in the background and login to TR Eikon addin via a scheduled task or does this always needs to be run under a logged user?

eikoneikon-com-apiexcelvba
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
4.6k 26 7 22

@ruud.kruithof as far as I know, you always need to be logged in. Eikon is not really designed in a way that would support the workflow that you describe. Best case would be to switch to one of the enterprise level APIs for data (such as DataScope Select), a more optimal way would be to create a macro with Eikon COM API to download all the data rather than using spreadsheet functions and a wrapper.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

@ruud.kruithof
I'm afraid there's no way to do what you ask for using Eikon. Eikon is an end user product, which requires end user credentials. It is designed to run only in interactive Windows session, i.e. it requires user to be logged on. In a non interactive Windows session Eikon cannot sign in and authenticate the user on the platform, which is what you noticed, because it doesn't know which user credentials to use. Even if you utilize Eikon COM API, it still has a dependency on Eikon application and requires user to be signed in and authenticated.
I suggest you implement your workflow in interactive Windows session. I.e. keep the Windows user logged on and schedule the task to run under user's Windows account.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 0 1 2

Thank you @Zhenya Kovalyov and @Alex Putkov. I will discuss the options with the stakeholder.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.