Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 0 1

EikonError: Error code 413 | Client Error: Payload Too Large get symbology

Hi I am converting around 13000 cusip, isin, and sedol to ric using eikon API and I am feeding into get_symbology a list of identifiers. I got the error 413: client error: payload too large even I try to shrink the list to as small as 5 entries. Does any one know what is the restriction eikon has on the size of list input? Thanks!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apierrorerror-413
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@yiliu.lu
Thank you for your participation in the forum. Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply that best answers your question. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.
Thanks,
-AHS

@yiliu.lu

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply.

Otherwise, you may share an answer and then accept it. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 0 1

I split my list into 100 blocks. Even 1000 does not work for me.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
4.6k 26 7 22

@yiliu.lu symbology api can be safely used on large datasets (think index constituents code conversion for a large index), so it is difficult to say what causes this behavior without looking at your code.

I may only assume that something went wrong after you attempted to execute the initial 13000 symbols as one request, however, it is something that I failed to replicate.

If this problem persists, please let us know.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 1 0 1

Thanks! @Zhenya Kovalyov I am merging factset(that uses cusip) with eikon to fill in some missing entries. running the following line of code:

cric=ek.get_symbology(cusip,from_symbol_type='CUSIP',to_symbol_type='RIC')['RIC']

Where cusip is a list of 13000 cusips that I need to convert to ric.

The complete error message I got is:

Error code 413 | Client Error: Payload Too Large - <!DOCTYPE html><html><head><title></title><link rel="stylesheet" href="/stylesheets/style.css"></head><body><h1>request entity too large</h1><h2>413</h2><pre>Error
    at readStream (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:196:17)
    at getRawBody (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:106:12)
    at read (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/body-parser/lib/read.js:76:3)
    at jsonParser (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/body-parser/lib/types/json.js:127:5)
    at Layer.handle [as handle_request] (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95:5)
    at trim_prefix (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:317:13)
    at /Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:284:7
    at Function.process_params (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:335:12)
    at next (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:275:10)
    at logger (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/morgan/index.js:144:5)</pre></body></html>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
EikonError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-501-c351c41ab672> in <module>
----> 1 cric=ek.get_symbology(cusip,from_symbol_type='CUSIP',to_symbol_type='RIC')['RIC']
~/anaconda3/envs/my_conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/eikon/symbology.py in get_symbology(symbol, from_symbol_type, to_symbol_type, raw_output, debug, bestMatch)
    108     payload ={'symbols': symbol,'from': from_symbol_type,'to': to_symbol_type,'bestMatchOnly': bestMatch}
--> 109     result = eikon.json_requests.send_json_request(Symbology_UDF_endpoint, payload, debug=debug)
    111     if raw_output:
~/anaconda3/envs/my_conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/eikon/json_requests.py in send_json_request(entity, payload, debug)
     98                 return result
     99             else:
--> 100                 raise_for_status(response)
    102         except requests.exceptions.ConnectionError as connectionError:
~/anaconda3/envs/my_conda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/eikon/json_requests.py in raise_for_status(response)
    190     if error_msg:
--> 191         logger.error('Error code {} | {}'.format(response.status_code, error_msg))
    192         raise EikonError(response.status_code, error_msg)
EikonError: Error code 413 | Client Error: Payload Too Large - <!DOCTYPE html><html><head><title></title><link rel="stylesheet" href="/stylesheets/style.css"></head><body><h1>request entity too large</h1><h2>413</h2><pre>Error
    at readStream (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:196:17)
    at getRawBody (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:106:12)
    at read (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/body-parser/lib/read.js:76:3)
    at jsonParser (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/body-parser/lib/types/json.js:127:5)
    at Layer.handle [as handle_request] (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95:5)
    at trim_prefix (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:317:13)
    at /Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:284:7
    at Function.process_params (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:335:12)
    at next (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:275:10)
    at logger (/Applications/Eikon API Proxy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/morgan/index.js:144:5)</pre></body></html>

I think it might be a restriction on the server side. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot!

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

@yiliu.lu
I suggest you split your list into several smaller ones. Rather than using a single list of 13K Cusips try doing your Cusip to RIC conversion in a loop with 13 lists of 1K Cusips each.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.