Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
12 4 3 5

Eikon Data API using Spyder/Anaconda

I am currently using Spyder (downloaded together with Anaconda) and experience issues with the import of the Eikon package.

The error message is the following: module 'eikon' has no attribute 'set_app_key'

Surprisingly, the code once worked but now produces always the same error message. Although, if I execute the following commands in the Anaconda Prompt I do not receive any error:

import eikon as ek

ek.set_app_key('app key')

Might the problem be caused by Spyder?

Thanks for your help.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apilog-inspyder
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @FRZH,

Can you confirm the version of the Eikon module?

ek.__version__

The version is 1.0.1

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@FRZH
I should add to the responses by @zoya.farberov and @nick.zincone.1 that if you have no problem calling set_app_key method of eikon library in Anaconda Prompt, this means your Spyder and Anaconda Prompt are not using the same Python site packages. You must have installed multiple versions of eikon library, and Anaconda Prompt loads a newer version while Spyder loads an older version of the library that doesn't have set_app_key method defined. Multiple site packages may be the result of setting up isolated virtual development environments for the same install of Python or you may have multiple instances of Python installed.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @FRZH,

Looks like you have eikon library installed, but you are not on the latest version.

Could you please open a command shell, and run

pip show eikon

then

pip install --upgrade eikon

then again

pip show eikon

This should upgrade the eikon library to the latest, please let us know if you are able to call set_app_key, to set to a valid eikon id, afterwards.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
17.1k 80 39 63

Hi @FRZH,

You will need to troubleshoot your environment and try suggestions outlined above. One thing you can try is within your notebook, try to list out the eikon interface by hitting the <TAB> key after typing out package alias, for example:

For package 1.0.1, you should see the set_app_key listed.

ahs.png (10.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.