question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 1 1 4

Retrieving news older than 3 months from TRKD API

I'm new to the Refinitiv APIs so I apologised first if this question was asked before.

My company has an account in www.trkd.thomsonreuters.com, which gives me access to the TRKD APIs. My current task requires me to retrieve news articles (not price quotation or other statistical data, but proper English news/text) under a certain topic (say, topic Asia) as much as I can for research. For now, what I can do is to first retrieve news Headlines under this topic via the "RetrieveHeadlineML_1" API and then use the returned StoryId to retrieve news story one piece at a time. My questions are

1> Is there a more efficient way to do this?

2> Since the "RetrieveHeadlineML_1" only allows retrieving data for the last 90 days, does that mean I can only access news in the past 90 days? Is there any method/way at all that allows me to retrieve news from even earlier time?

Thanks in advance.

apirkd-apirkd
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @Thomas Qin,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.
Thanks,
AHS

Upvote
Accepted
141 1 4 1

@Thomas Qin adding to previous previous answer...

1. multiple story ids can be included in a single storyrequest element. The wsdl give sit as "unbounded" however there will be a performance impact to a very large list. I would suggest batches of 10 or 20 storyid per request

2. TRKD product requirement is for storage of up to 90 days of News headlines and associated stories -- so that is always the maximum you would ever get back in a headline search. Stories should also expire after that duration. Other products from Refinitiv may offer more, check with your account team.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I see. I will check with the account team then. Thanks so much!

Upvote
79.2k 251 52 74

@Thomas Qin

1. In order to retrieve a news story, you need a story ID. However, you can specify multiple storyIDs in the request.

2. This could be a limitation of TRKD. You need to contact your Refinitiv's Technical Account Manager to confirm this limitation or find other solutions to retrieve more news. I can also retrieve news headlines back to 90 days from TRKD.

storyid.png (17.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

I see. Thanks so much!

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.