Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 1 0 2

How can I use the Eikon Data API without signing into Eikon on my computer?

Currently using Python. I currently have my KEY # but that doesn't seem to be enough to use the API unless I sign into the software on my computer. Do I need to submit my username/password somewhere in the API in order for it to work? Thinking of putting this API on a virtual machine.. is it possible? If so, how would doing this differ from my desktop?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiapi
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @roates

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
17.4k 82 39 63

Hi @roates,

The Eikon Data APIs piggyback off of connection and authentication mechanisms within the Eikon application and must be used on the same machine. Once you start Eikon and login to Eikon you are authenticated. After that, you are only required to use an application key when using the API.

Refer to the QuickStart for more details.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @roates

You must have Eikon Desktop application running when you are using the API.

And the Eikon Desktop app and Python API calls must also be on the same machine.

Eikon Desktop acts as API Proxy and it does not allow incoming connection for remote host.

So you cannot make an API call from your virtual machine, unless you also install Eikon Desktop and have it running on your virtual machine as well.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 0

Does Eikon Desktop app has Linux version?

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @binyuan

Adding more question to an answered thread is not suggested.

No, there is no Eikon Desktop on Linux.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.