Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
98 27 33 35

QuoteID not mapping to RICs.

Hello,

I'm trying to request RICs using QuoteID. I've noticed for some companies, mostly from ARCA and NYSE, when requested the RIC with QuoteID using TR.RIC I get symbols without any of the dot extensions. For example, for 55839008181 (American Shared Hospital Services) I was expecting something like AMS.N, or AMS.ARC but only AMS was returned.

And this is "strange" for me, since normally RICs are with this "dot extension", this (and others from that same exchange) didn't had any. Is there a reason for it?

What methodology would suggest to acquire the RIC with that "dot extension form" for these cases? Is there a way to retrieve the primary exchange of the company with a TR formula, using the QuoteID?

Thanks for your time!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiricssymbologyquote
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
318 1 0 4

Hi @aquilesjlp300

You can use TR.PrimaryQuote data item to retrieve the primary quote:

ticker, err = ek.get_data(instruments = ['RCKY.O','55839008181'], fields = ['TR.RIC','TR.PrimaryQuote'])

Is this what you are looking for?

primary-ric.jpg (47.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Well, it maps the RIC to the form we need it to (with that dot and the exchange acronym we were expecting). But shouldn't we be able to get the same result by using TR.RIC?

What is the difference among TR.RIC, TR.PRimaryQuote and TR.PrimaryInstrument?

Hi @aquilesjlp300 ,

TR.RIC will return the RIC used in the formula, but it will give you the primary exchange RIC when using with other identifiers such as ISINs and SEDOLs.

TR.PRimaryQuote will give you a primary RIC of the identifier

TR.PrimaryInstrument will give you the primary RIC in the “collection” of all ISINs under the whole company.

rics.jpg (26.0 KiB)

I hope this helps:

Show more comments
Upvotes
1 2 2 2

Hi @aquilesjlp300,

Could you show the exact code line you used to get it?

Thanks

icon clock
10 |1500

import pandas as pd
import eikon as ek
ek.set_app_id(my_app_key)
symbol = ek.get_data('55839008181', 'TR.RIC')
print(symbol)

captura.jpg

captura.jpg (11.8 KiB)

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.