Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 1

is it possible to get point in tim historical dividend data?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apidatapoint-in-time
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@hulek890

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @hulek890,

I would like to add to the excellent answers above a bit of an explanation.

This aspect of Eikon Data API mirrors Eikon data retrieval paradigm.

Same as in Eikon Excel we define history as interval-ed by dates:

=TR("MSFT.O","TR.TotalRevenue(Scale=6)","SDate=0 EDate=-199 Period=FQ0 Frq=FQ",G2)

In Eikon Data API python ref, we do analogous:

ek.get_data("MSFT.O",'TR.TotalRevenue(Scale=6, SDate=0, EDate=-199, Period=FQ0, Frq=FQ)')

As the interval becomes very short, you capture the point in time that you require.

Hope this helps.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
22k 58 14 21

Yes

fields = ['TR.DivExDate', 'TR.DivAdjustedGross', 'TR.DivAdjustedNet']
div,err = ek.get_data('MSFT.O', fields=fields, parameters={'SDate':'01Jan15', 'EDate':'01Jan17', 'DateType':'ED'})

Instrument 	Dividend Ex Date 	Adjusted Gross Dividend Amount 	Adjusted Net Dividend Amount
0 	MSFT.O 	2015-02-17 	0.31 	0.31
1 	MSFT.O 	2015-05-19 	0.31 	0.31
2 	MSFT.O 	2015-08-18 	0.31 	0.31
3 	MSFT.O 	2015-11-17 	0.36 	0.36
4 	MSFT.O 	2016-02-16 	0.36 	0.36
5 	MSFT.O 	2016-05-17 	0.36 	0.36
6 	MSFT.O 	2016-08-16 	0.36 	0.36
7 	MSFT.O 	2016-11-15 	0.39 	0.39
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 1 1 1

Is this definitely point in time data? i.e. if I set the date to X and request the div data for a company that changed the dividend date after X then I will not see the change? I'd expect to see only information that was available at the time of X. Can you please confirm?

icon clock
10 |1500

@hulek890

I'm not sure I fully understand the scenario you're concerned about. Are you asking what would happen in the case where on date xx a company announced that it would pay dividend on date yy, but the dividend payment was subsequently made on date zz? I don't know if this ever happens, and I'm not sure how we handle such scenario in our dividend history if indeed it does happen. Hypothetically I see two possibilities: either we will only have actual dividend payment date (i.e. zz) in the dividend history. Or we may treat this scenario as two separate dividend events: one dividend that was rescinded and another that was paid. In this case for the rescinded dividend TR.DivIsRescinded flag and TR.DivRescindedDate fields will be populated. If you have an actual example, you can check for yourself. Alternatively you may contact Refinitiv Helpdesk for an explanation on how we handle the scenario. This forum is dedicated to software developers using Refinitiv APIs. The moderators on this forum are technical experts, who don't necessarily have deep content expertise in all types of content available through Refinitiv products and services. For questions that require deep content expertise the best resource is Refinitiv Helpdesk, which can be reached by calling the Helpdesk number in your country or by using Contact Us capability in your Eikon application.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.