Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
34 3 7 6

EikonError: Error code 429 | Client Error: Too many requests, please try again later. Wait for 51602 seconds.

This morning, I got this error message and I cannot use Eikon Python API now. I will be careful next time, but this penalty of 51602 seconds is equivalent to 14 hours or more, which means that I cannot use the programs that I have developed for trading today at all and my entire day will be wasted! This is huge penalty to an active user like me.

Could someone contact with me and let me know more detailed information about what triggered this harsh sanction? I read https://developers.refinitiv.com/eikon-apis/eikon-data-api/docs?content=49692&type=documentation_item but I wonder my case is falling into Call limits or Daily limits.

I am willing to be compliant, but without knowing the rule precisely, I cannot respect it. I wish someone to contact with me take care of my case. I have already contacted with Live Chat Support in Eikon Desktop, but they told me to come here and ask.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apierrorerror-429
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

At the official documentation https://developers.refinitiv.com/eikon-apis/eikon-data-api/docs?content=49692&type=documentation_item , under the section "What happens when a limit is reached?", it says:

When the limits for datapoints per request are reached, responses are simply truncated and only the available cells/headlines/results are returned - even though your request would have yielded a bigger response.

So, then, how can this wait time penalty apply? Based on what clause is this sanction imposed?

Hi @iwasakI In the documentation, it says "For example, a news headline query may have yielded more headlines than those returned on the response, or a timeseries call could return a fewer number of years than what was requested." So I believe this is referring to cases when you use get_news_headlines() or get_timeseries().

One more question. For daily limit, when is it reset? Is that based on my local time or GST or maybe 24 hours rolling window?

Hi @iwasakI

Daily requests and volume limits are reset at midnight according to the operating system clock on your machine.

Thank you fora concise answer. I understood it.

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @iwasakI,

Please see this previous discussion on 429.

Please take a look at the accepted answer that includes suggestions from @Alex Putkov. on how to approach the limit.

I hope this helps.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi Zoya, thank you for heads up to Alex's suggestion that is quite insightful. The biggest problem I face is that I am not sure what exactly happened behind the scene. Then, according to his comment:

"The most practical way is to wait a minute and then try sending one isolated request. If it fails with Error code 429, then you hit the daily limit. If it succeeds, then you must have hit the requests per second or volume per minute limit. "

and clearly in this case, my account is still suspended even now after waiting for a while, which implies that I accidentally hit a daily limit... I have been requesting for official investigation to Refinitiv technical team, so hope to confirm this theory soon.

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

@iwasakI

As the document you referenced states, there are 2 daily limits: the limit on the number of requests and the limit on the amount of data (in bytes) that you retrieve. You submitted more than 10K requests in a day, which triggered the requests limit throttle. Daily limits are reset at midnight according to the operating system clock on your machine. I hope this helps.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 1 1 2

Is there any way i can monitor or know how far along i am in my limits?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.