Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 1 1 0

Pull Fund Management Company RIC for a given fund LipperID

Is it possible to retrieve the RIC of the fund management company of a given fund using the Eikon Data API get_data (or any other) function?

I've managed to retrieve the fund management company name as follows: get_data('40061133','TR.FundCompany'). However, I'd now like to get further information on the fund management company (e.g. ultimate parent), for which I'd need its RIC.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiricsfundslipper
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @daan.vanacker

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvote
Accepted
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @daan.vanacker

df, err = ek.get_data(['SPY','LP40061133','40061133'],['TR.CommonName','TR.FundCompany'])
display(df)

TR.FundCompany will give you the company name, SSgA Funds Management Inc

But I cannot locate field that carry its PermID.

The moderators here do not have deep expertise in every type of content available through Eikon.

You may want to verify this with Refinitiv Helpdesk by asking if there's a field carrying the Fund Company PermID.
The Refinitiv Content Helpdesk can be reached using Contact Us capability in your Eikon application.
Or by calling the Helpdesk number in your country.
Or at https://my.refinitiv.com/

ahs.png (17.4 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks for your help, @chavalit.jintamalit . I was afraid that this mightbe the case. I'll try to reach out to the helpdesk.

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

You can try this code:

df, err = ek.get_data('40061133',
                      ["TR.FUNDHOLDINGRIC","TR.FundHoldingname","TR.FundPercentageOfFundAssets","TR.FundNumberOfShares","TR.FundAllocationDate"],
                      {'endnum' :3000 })
display(df)

Then to get RIC list:

rics = df['Holding RIC'].tolist()
len(rics)

ahs.png (52.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

I'm afraid this isn't what I'm asking about. This gives me a list of RICs for the companies held by the fund (i.e. the fund portfolio).

What I'm looking to get instead is the (single) RIC of the fund management company, i.e. the financial company which manages the fund. For the examlpe Lipper ID I gave, this is SSgA Funds Management Inc with RIC 4297137409.

Upvotes
17.4k 82 39 63

Hi @daan.vanacker,

Accessing the DIB within Eikon, I want to confirm if the RIC you are looking for is SPY, as you can see here:

If so, using the following will get you:

If not, you can further investigate within the DIB and filter on the term RIC which will provide a number of matches. Otherwise, I would suggest you reach out to the Refinitiv Helpdesk to ask if the data is available.

ahs.png (22.6 KiB)
ahs.png (6.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Hi nick.zincone.1,

Thanks for this. You've made me realise I may be confusing my identifiers.

I'm looking for an identifier for the fund management company associated with the fund, not an identifier for the fund itself, as you have pointed me to. This may not be a RIC as I originally asked for, but instead a PermID.

For example, for the SPDR S&P500 ETF Trust, the listed fund management company on the overview page under 'Company Information' is SSgA Funds Management Inc (see screenshot).

I'd like to get an identifier, perhaps the PermID associated with this fund management company, as a data item. In this case, the PermID would be as in the below screenshot (found on SSgA Funds Management Inc's company overview page).

Is there a data item associated with this? I can't seem to find one in the DIB.

Upvote
3.8k 4 4 6

Hi @daan.vanacker

You can try this:

df1,err = ek.get_data('40061133','TR.FundCompany')
name=df1['Fund Company'].iloc[0]
df2, err = ek.get_data(instruments = 'SCREEN(U(IN(Private(OrgType(COM,UNK,MKP)))),Contains(TR.CommonName,"'+name+'"))',fields="TR.CommonName")
df2

ahs.jpg (10.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @marcin.bunkowski . This is helpful, thank you. Although I'd rather avoid using a screen, as this might return zero or multiple results for certain common names without notifying me and thus compromise further calculations.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.