question

Upvotes
Accepted
41 5 6 5

The meaning of ASK_TONE/BID_TONE field in Market Price update message

Would you be so kind as to help me with understanding of ASK_TONE/BID_TONE field meaning?

The example of message:

UpdateMsg
streamId="89"
domain="MarketPrice Domain"
updateTypeNum="10"
name="/TUIT.L"
serviceId="902"
serviceName="hEDD"
Payload dataType="FieldList"
FieldList FieldListNum="0" DictionaryId="1"
FieldEntry fid="22" name="BID" dataType="Real" value="357.0"
FieldEntry fid="25" name="ASK" dataType="Real" value="341.3"
FieldEntry fid="30" name="BIDSIZE" dataType="Real" value="22000.0"
FieldEntry fid="31" name="ASKSIZE" dataType="Real" value="1395.0"
FieldEntry fid="4150" name="BID_TIM_MS" dataType="UInt" value="40327266"
FieldEntry fid="4147" name="ASK_TIM_MS" dataType="UInt" value="40334687"
FieldEntry fid="345" name="BID_TONE" dataType="Rmtes" value="M"
FieldEntry fid="346" name="ASK_TONE" dataType="Rmtes" value="M"
FieldListEnd
PayloadEnd

In all messages that I get with ASK_TONE/BID_TONE set "M" there was a cross. (BID price > ASK price, in the example 357.0 > 341.0).
In the field dictionary next lines are written about BID_TONE:
BID_TONE "BID TONE" 345 NULL ALPHANUMERIC 1 RMTES_STRING 1
!
! Bid price qualifier
!

The question is what does it mean "price qualifier" and how it shoul be handled? And why is BID > ASK? Is there any way to get more detailed decription of ASK_TONE/BID_TONE fields (for example to learn about possible values)?

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdkema-apirrtelektron-message-apijavaupdate-message
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@vasiliev.nett

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply that best answers your question.

This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

@vasiliev.nett

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @vasiliev.nett

Most of the forum moderators here are not Content experts, so your best course of action for Content type Queries is either

• to create a Content type query at My.Refinitv

Or

For example, If I search for ASK_TONE used by LSE Equity, I am told that ASK_TONE is a deprecated FID and that I should use ASK_TONE1 which is described in the tool as follows:

Note that I am not a content expert, the above is just to give an idea of what the Data Model Discovery tool can provide.

The link I provided above includes brief instructions on how to use the tool. You can find additional information including a Quick Start Guide and an introductory video on the tool at Data Model Discovery | MyRefinitiv

1611332397310.png (30.9 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
22.1k 59 14 21

Hi @vasiliev.nett,

I searched the Data Model discovery and could not find any more information than what you already know. These messages are some sort of Price Qualifiers. I would recommend that you open a support ticker at my.refinitiv.com where a content expert can advise you.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
41 5 6 5

Thank you very much for the reply. Would you be so kind as to tell me if it is normal to get messages with bid price > ask price? May be it is not connected to ASK_TONE/BID_TONE?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
22.1k 59 14 21

Hi @vasiliev.nett,

Market cross does happen, and how it is sent depends on the trading venue. Usually there is a status marker in the Price Qualifier Code fields. It is best to contact the Refinitiv Helpdesk to get a fully qualified answer for these content questions.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
41 5 6 5

Thank you for your help!

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.