For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
21.9k 58 14 21

Use WebTransport for streaming market data

This space is to discuss the pros/cons and your opinion on Webtransport, and if it can be successfully used for internet streaming of stock prices. This article presents the background information and the current delivery protocol.

Should we consider WebTransport for streaming data

#technologywebsocketsstreaming-datatcp
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hi @Gurpreet ,

I think WebTransport for market data is a very interesting idea that you bring to the table, and feel is definitely worth discussing more.

The limitations that I am thinking of, are probably the same ones, that you have pinpointed in the article:

• WebTransport is best suited for quotes distribution, rather then trades, and may allow to move beyond to 3/sec golden standard for quotes
  • Organizations where adoption of the new technology is governed by the strict rules based on technology maturity, may not be able to adopt immediately, but it becomes a question of time- they may do so in the long run.
  • A testable proof of concept/preview may be helpful to learn more...
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
24.6k 54 17 14

Hi @Gurpreet

WebStransport is interesting for delivering streaming market data. However, I think it is still in the early/draft specification phase compared to the more mature WebSocket ecosystem.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
17.1k 80 39 63

Hi @Gurpreet

While it appears WebTransport is suitable for streaming solutions that can tolerate missing packets, video, music, gaming, it is important to evaluate what this could mean for market data that my not be as tolerable. While it can be true that:

"In streaming marketdata world, a missed packet containing information about the stock price update is not as critical, since a subsequent packet will update the price anyways."

for high volume trading environments where users are looking at screens and may never notice missing quotes or trades because a new one comes in immediately after the missing one. However, how do we protect situations where we have lower trading volume, and a missing trade is not immediately replaced - minutes could pass. It's still a question how we could address this scenario.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.