Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
21 0 1 2

Why is Eikon API extremely slow today?

Whereas in the past, ek.get_data has worked relatively fast, it has barely worked today. Occasionally, it works with a very long delay. Other times I get one of the following error messages: i) I get HTTP TimeoutException: ., ii) Backend error. 400 Bad Request, or iii) HTTP request failed: EikonError-Backend error. 400 Bad Request. The API is basically unsuable today whereas it has worked fine in the past utilzing the same code.

eikon-data-api#technology#product
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
5.6k 18 2 7

Hi @User1 ,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing the issues, indeed it sometimes may return Bad requests due to server overload, although I am not aware of recent systematic issues. Have you tried using our latest RD Libraries for Python? I would advice considering that as it has better functionality and is actively being supported. Happy to help you with migrating your Eikon function into RD Libs if necessary. Here are some examples you may find useful:

LSEG-API-Samples/Example.DataLibrary.Python: Example projects and Tutorials demonstrating access to the Refinitiv Data Platform using the Refinitiv Data Library for Python (github.com)

Hope this help.

Best regards,

Haykaz

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
21 0 1 2

Haykaz, Thanks for this. I'm not familiar with the RD Libraries for Python. Is refinitiv.data a newer alternative to the eikon library? If so, do I understand correctly that you are advising to migrate from eikon to refinitiv.data? Thanks.

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @User1 , yes, the RD Libs is eventually supposed to replace the Eikon, although we do support Eikon now. But no further features will be added to Eikon, however RD Libs has more functionality already now and is being enhanced. So I would advice considering migrating your codes from eikon to RD (the links I shared above will be useful to learn more about it), and if any issues, we can look into it.

Best regards,

Haykaz

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.