Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
2 0 0 3

Experiencing Rate Limit Errors with Eikon Data API

Hello,

I have been using the Eikon Data API to fetch news headlines using a Python script that runs every 10 seconds. The script is as follows:

• q = 'Topic:NEWS1 AND All Alert AND (Language:LEN OR Language:LZH)'
    result = ek.get_news_headlines(query=q, date_from=from_ts, count=100)
    headlinelist = ## extracted from result ##

if len(headlinelist) > 0:
    datetime_list = [datetime.strptime(headline['versionCreated'], '%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%f') for headline in headlinelist]
    next_from_ts = "{0:%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S}".format(max(datetime_list))
    time.sleep(10)
    from_ts = next_from_ts

However, I'm encountering rate limit errors before 24 hours have elapsed.

I've reviewed the API documentation and noted the following:

• Requests per second: Limited to 5 requests.
  • Requests per day: Limited to 10,000 requests.
  • Response volume per minute: Limited to 50 MB.
  • Response volume per day: Limited to 5 GB.

Given the frequency of my script (running every 10 seconds), I'm not exceeding the daily limit, theoretically.

Could there be any other reasons that I might be missing which is causing these rate limit errors? Has anyone experienced something similar? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

#technologyapiapi-limitshelpdesk
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
10.2k 18 6 9

@yamaguchi Thanks for your question and I'm very sorry to hear about your issues. I spoke with the dev team earlier and 2 weeks ago we had to roll back the API Proxy due to a critical error - this older proxy version led to the re-emergance of some issues (that where fixed in the most recent API Proxy release) that might be leading to some of the throttling issues you are experiencing. These issues are being worked on at the moment and will be fixed within a month at the latest with a new API Proxy release. In the meantime can you try to increase the sleep period to 15 or 20 seconds and see if this works, until the fix is put in. Please let me know if this is something you can try and if so let us know how if it is working. I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I appreciate the update. I will try setting the sleep period to 15 seconds for the time being and observe how it performs. Thank you for the suggestion

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.