Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 0

Unable to connect on VS Code Python

Hi there,

Whilst I have been using CodeBook, I'd also like to code locally on my machine and use Visual Studio Code.

However, the following script returns an error and as a result I am unable to connect:

import refinitiv.data as rd
from refinitiv.data.content import news
from IPython.display import HTML
import pandas as pd
import numpy as np
from datetime import datetime,timedelta
import time
import warnings
warnings.filterwarnings("ignore")

import refinitiv.dataplatform.eikon as ek
ek.set_app_key('MyToken which works on CodeBook')

Here is the error:

ERROR!!! An error occurred while requesting URL('http://localhost:9000/api/status').     ReadTimeout('')
ERROR!!! An error occurred while requesting URL('http://localhost:9060/api/status').     ConnectError('All connection attempts failed')Error: no proxy address identified.Check if Desktop is running.
ERROR!!! An error occurred while requesting URL('http://localhost:9000/api/handshake').     RemoteProtocol
Error("illegal status line: bytearray(b'\\xff\\x00\\x00\\x00\\x00\\x00\\x00\\x00\\x01\\x7fe\\x01')")

Can someone help or assist? Many thanks.

eikon-data-apiworkspace#technologypython apirefinitiv-data-librariesconnection-error
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
6.9k 21 3 6

Hi @lucalto, if you are using EDAPI with the line `ek.set_app_key('MyToken which works on CodeBook')`, then you are using the Desktop Session. When using the desktop session, the only credential needed to access LSEG datasets is your app key; this is because the desktop app handles all other credentials to authenticate you to the Refinitiv system. When using the desktop session, one needs to have either their Eikon Desktop App or their Workspace Desktop App running on the machine on which the API is being used; this is not required when using the Platform Session (which can only be used with the LD Python Lib.).

In order to resolve your issue, I believe you may need to make sure that the Workspace (or Eikon) Desktop application is running on the same machine where you are running your VS Code environment (and on the same machine as where you are running your Python code).

I would advise upgrading to the the LD Python Lib. because it is the more up to date Python Library. It may be confusing, because there is also an RD Python Lib., in truth, it is easy; the EDAPI was the 1st Python library, the RD Lib. was the second, and the LD Lib is the newest, and it was released very recently. I advise skipping straight to the LD Lib. because both the EDAPI and RD Lib. will be deprecated in the years to come.

For more information, I would advise reading the following articles:

Summary of Common LSEG Refinitiv APIs

LSEG’s Refinitiv Data Library for Python and its Configuration Process

EDAPI Quick Start guide for Windows

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.