For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 2 3 2

MRN field coupling with old News Feed Direct

Is there documentation describing a coupling between fields for MRN_STORY and the older News Feed Direct?

For instance, we used to get TopicCodes and for MRN_STORY we now get "subjects" which seem to be the same but which are slightly different. Similarly, we used to get ProductCode which looks strikingly similar to "audiences" coming from MRN_STORY, but they're not exactly the same for otherwise the same article.

Thanks

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdknewsmrn
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
21 0 0 0

Hi @vijay.rao1,

For filed comparison between NFD and MRN, please refer to follwoing link with special attention to columns 'C' and 'H'. http://customers.reuters.com/pazdocsunauth/pazDocs.aspx?did=587233

The metadata between the feeds is produced from the same generation platform, so the product, attribution and topic coding should be consistent. One exception is MRN will contain newly supported codes introduced within the last 12 months, NFD metadata is now static as the service is end-of-life.

While PNAC or altId will be consistent, you will see differences in the way GUIDs are generated. Please let me know if you have any specific questions after reviewing the link to the document "NewsDMV212FieldComparisionV10"

Thank you

Jarhed

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Would MRN Data Models Guide be of help? Section 2.2 describes how subjects and audiences are generated. The guide links to the full list of the available codes on Customer Zone.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 3 2

Thanks for this. I am familiar with this document. The issue here is that we have the old news feed running side by side with the new (MRN) news feed. We see the same articles coming with slight differences between the fields. So for the old feed we get for TopicCodes:

|IN|EMRG|ASIA|CEN|RBIN|MMT|SASIA|ASXPAC

On the new MRN feed, for the same news article we get:

|IN|EMRG|ASIA|CEN|RBIN|MMT|BLR|SASIA|ASXPAC

(BLR has been added).

We see similar issues with the "subjects" field.

Likewise, is AlertType the same as urgency? They look the same but then we come across examples of the same article coming from the 2 different news feeds where AlertType is not equal to urgency.

Thanks

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @vijay.rao1

My understanding is that you will not always get 1:1 parity between the new and old News feeds.

The approved news sources for MRN are not the same as NFD - and therefore you would expect to see some differences.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 3 2

Thanks. I'm going to try to find out if there's an overview of the news sources across these feeds. With exception of the AlertType vs 'urgency' field, it seems like the MRN feed is a superset of NFD, i.e. we seem to get the same plus additional articles from MRN (>=) compared to NFD. Also, when there are differences between the fields, the MRN fields seem to contain the same plus additional (>=) information compared to NFD. As long as MRN is a superset, I'm not too concerned about such differences.

I'm still curious to know if there's any way to compare the unique identifier of a news article between these feeds. We come across articles that are exactly the same between these feeds while the identifiers look significantly different. It would make it easier to compare the feeds if we could convert the identifier for news articles from one feed to the other.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 3 2

Umer,

I see you've provided some insight into the identifiers across the feeds in:

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/13044/mrn-id-structures.html

Thanks for this.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 3 2

Thanks. You explanation makes sense and is sort of what I was expecting.

The link you provided leads do a dead end, producing the following output:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: https://customers.reuters.com/a/support/paz/pazDocs.aspx?did=587233
Line Number 1, Column 3:PK

It may be something transient; I'll retry the link later this week.

Thanks

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.