Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
48 0 0 3

How to expand a RIC chain?

I am trying to expand a RIC chain, in order to find the components, then query data pages for them.

So far, requesting a non-existent field

bad_field = eik.get_data(['0#AUEDIVCF'], ['x'], debug = True) 

yields null results and error for every instrument in the chain.

Requesting an existing field

ric = eik.get_data(['0#AUEDIVCF'], ['TR.RIC'], debug = True) 

yields a single result, the RIC for the chain itself.

I tried following principles described here https://developers.thomsonreuters.com/article/decoding-chains-part-1, but

long_link = eik.get_data(['0#AUEDIVCF'], ['LONGLINK1'], debug = True) 

yet again, yields empty results for every instrument.

Ultimately, I would like to get the dividend forecasts page for every component, or the ROW80_1 to ROW80_25 fields, but this requirement can change depending on the RIC chain. What is a robust approach to get this data? What is the expansion mechanism used by the API on requesting non-existent fields? I have seen the recommendation to query a non-existent field for speeding up screen queries in another response on this forum, but this has proved very inefficient over time, so I don't want to rely on it.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apidatachain-ric
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
4.6k 26 7 22

Try this:

df, e = tr.get_data(['0#AUEDIVCF'],['X_RIC_NAME'])
rics = df['Instrument'].tolist()

You would need to use a real-time field to get a result, I think. Anything that starts with 'TR.' sits in the reference database. You can get a list of those by examining all fields from a RIC in the quote app:

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.