Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 2 2 4

Get All Mergers and Acquisitions on the Python API

I am trying to get All Mergers and Acquisitions on the Python API, I am wondering if there's a Symbol or instrument to just get all of them, this is the code I am using at the moment.

names_list = ['TR.DealDate;TR.DealStatus;TR.DealAcquiror;TR.DealTarget;TR.DealType;TR.DealSynopsis; TR.DealAnnouncementDate;TR.DealPercentSought;TR.DealPercentOwned, ']
start_date = str(20060101)
end_date = str(20180812)
df, error = ek.get_data(ALLCOMPANIESCODEHERE, names_list, {"SDate": start_date, "EDate": end_date}) cheers.
eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apicorporate-actions
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@luis22
Thank you for your participation in the forum. Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply that best answers your question. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.
Thanks,
-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@luis22
The deals screener has been released recently, which allows you to search for M&A deals based on a criteria set. To explore the deals screener click on the Screener button under Thomson Reuters tab in Excel ribbon. The screener defaults to the universe of public companies. You want to change the universe to Deals and then follow the wizard to construct the screener expression and insert it into Excel worksheet. Then you can copy & paste the screener expression into your Python script. E.g. the following call returns all deals announced between two dates:

ek.get_data("SCREEN(U(IN(DEALS)),BETWEEN(TR.MnAAnnDate,20181101,20181103))",["TR.MnAAnnDate","TR.MnATarget","TR.MnATargetPermId","TR.MnAAcquiror","TR.MnAAcquirorPermId"])
See also my comments on this thread.
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks a lot for this answer Alex. I just trying to add one more criteria to that search (Just want to get UK deals between a period of time) and I don't have available Excel to get the query so I am trying to build it manually, What I am doing wrong here?

ek.get_data("SCREEN(U(IN(DEALS)),BETWEEN(TR.MnAAnnDate,20181101,20181103),IN(TR.MnATargetNation.code='GB'))",["TR.MnAAnnDate","TR.MnATarget","TR.MnATargetPermId","TR.MnAAcquiror","TR.MnAAcquirorPermId"]))

Thanks in advance!

TR.MnATargetNation.code is not a valid criteria in deals screener expression. Here's the expression that returns deals announced between two dates where either the target or the acquirer is headquartered in the UK:
"SCREEN(U(IN(DEALS)),BETWEEN(TR.MnAAnnDate,20181101,20181203),IN(TR.MnANationHQ(DealPartRole=T:A),'GB'))"
I suggest to always construct the screener expression using the screener wizard in Excel and then copy & paste it from =TR function in Excel into Python script.

Your answers have been extremely helpful, thanks very much Alex.

Upvote
4.6k 26 7 22

@luis22, unfortunately not, you will have to build the list of companies manually.

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @Zhenya Kovalyov , So there is not a simple way of just getting all the most recent deals of the market? as you do here in your web app:

The capability to search for deals is coming up shortly to the Screener app in Eikon Excel and to Eikon Data APIs. I'm afraid I don't have the exact timeframe, but it should be imminent.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.