For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
4 2 1 6

Authentication token expiration

Hi guys,

If my authentication token will expire in the middle of a long standing request will the request be fulfilled or it will blow up in the middle?

Thanks,

Leon

dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdssauthentication
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@lhabinsky

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in answering your question?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
13.7k 26 8 12

@lhabinsky,

sorry for the belated response. You do not tell us what type of request you are making (what type of data, is it scheduled or on demand, are you using the .Net SDK), so my response will be generic.

You need a valid token every time you send a request to the API, whatever the request (i.e. the extraction request itself, a request to check the status of the extraction, or a request to retrieve the data). You can retrieve a new token any time, it should not break your extraction process. If you are using the .Net SDK the token renewal is handled transparently for you.

That said, if your request takes a very long time, you might want to break it up into smaller requests. We encourage people to group smaller requests into larger ones (like making 1 request for 10 instruments instead of 10 requests for 1 instrument), but there is also an upper limit. It might therefore be worth while breaking a large request into smaller ones, the accumulated time might well be smaller.

As an example, I had a customer requesting 20 years of data, it took 6 days. Requesting 1 year of data took a few hours. That was an obvious clue that requesting 20 years was not a good idea.

These are just indications, it is extremely difficult to give you numbers in this context. It also depends on the nature of your query, the type of data, the number of data fields, the date range, the number of instruments. If you regularly make the same type of request you could make some tests to find out what delivers the best response time (note that it will also depend on other factors such as server load).

I hope this helps.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
4 2 1 6

Thank you for a very detailed reply. I will follow your guidelines.

icon clock
10 |1500

@lhabinsky, you are welcome :-)

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.