Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
0 1 0 0

How to match company data from Eikon's PE Screener and Eikon's Screener for public Companies

Dear Refinitiv-Community,

I would like to study impacts of venture capital financing of entrepreneurial firms on their post-IPO performance.

Questions would be like: Does the total venture capital financing volume have an impact of the post-IPO performance?

In order to examine these questions I want to use two different data soruces within Eikon.

I used the "PE Screener" or "Private Equity Screener" to collect data about the venture capital activities of entrepreneurial firms before they went public.

I used the Screener for public companies to collect data on firms that went public in the same time period.

(Only three companies for simplification)

The problem now is that I have two excel files that I want to merge and I couldn't find an identifier variable for companies that match each other between the screeners. I tried to "build" an identifier with Name, founding date, date of IPO etc. but it turned out that these variables differ between the screeners.

Does anyone have an idea to solve this problem? Like knowing an identifier that Ihave missed or another approach collecting the data?

If you need further Information on this issue, I would be happy to provide it here.

Thank you very much in advance!

All the best

Nico

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiricsscreener
screeners.jpg (152.6 KiB)
example-picture.jpg (317.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@Nico L.

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such. Thanks, AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @Nico L.,

For inquiries on Eikon content, if you are a customer, kindly involve Eikon Helpdesk Online. You can also dial you local Refinitiv helpdesk number and describe your content question, or from your Eikon desktop menu, select Help.

The majority of the members of this forum are developers, the moderators are API experts, we will not be able to help with involved content questions on this forum, especially ones requiring further research. An Eikon content expert with the expertise in your area of content will be assigned to help you a customer, when you open a content support case.

---

For future consideration, if you are asking a new question on API usage, you would like for this question to be immediately visible to the members of a specific API forum (Eikon Data APIs) as well as the moderators with the relevant area of expertise, ask a new question, rather then posting an answer on the existent question thread. You can refer to the existent relevant thread via a link.

---

On my side- I tried

Screener -> Private Equity Exits, Exit Type = IPO.

I see "Date Announced" and "Date Completed", perhaps this will help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @zoya.farberov,

thank you very much for your help and patience.

It did not work out. I will try to reduce the approach to a smaller market which will give me the option to roughly match the data automatically and correct it manually afterwards.

I learned a lot about the features, possibilities and limitations of Eikon, which is quite nice, so I got that going for me.

Thanks again and all the best,

Nico

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @Nico L.,

I understand that your question is about identifying and correlating Eikon data, as returned by 2 Eikon screener requests. With this type of question, on identifying Eikon content, the best approach for a customer would be to contact Refinitiv Helpdesk Online , selecting product = Eikon, and your question will be assigned to the appropriate Eikon content expert. Or dial your local Refinitiv Helpdesk number and provide all the relevant details verbally.

This forum is intended for Refinitiv API usage, therefore most of the community members are developers, the moderators of the forum are API experts.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
0 1 0 0

Hello @zoya.farberov,

Thank you for your advise but unfortunately the helpdesk could not answer my question which brought me here.

I get your hint regarding the forum. Can you recommand a more fitting forum for this kind of question?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Nico

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @Nico L.,

This developers forum, as I mentioned is geared toward general Refinitiv API questions and discussions. We, moderators of this forum, do our best to provide the answers for such questions that are not answered by the community. The feedback we get is that the forum is very helpful to the Refinitiv developer community, it makes the job of our client developers easier. Anyone can register as a new community member, and once registered and logged in, can search and read our forums, and ask questions on the API forums, the forums are public.

For Refinitiv customers, the way to get answers to content questions is Refinitiv Helpdesk. We provide and maintain many different content sets. Upon the receipt of a content request from a customer, an appropriate Refinitiv content expert gets assigned to work on the question for as long as required to fully research the inquiry.

Consequently, there is no more fitting forum for content questions.

Is there a specific recommendation you were given by content helpdesk? Or a reason why you could not be helped? What is the content support case number you were assigned? I can try to look into this, just in case we can be of further help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
0 1 0 0

Hello @zoya.faberov

my case number is 08561387 and I was provided with a solution I already knew: how to solve this problem manually. But the real question is, how to match a lot more companies from PE Screener and Screener for public companies by an identifier or a specific approach of extracting the data.

Unfortunately, I was told that there is no identifier and no other way to extract the data from Eikon and was told to use "TR on Demand" but the given contact does not reply to my mails so far.

So it is already super time consuming and frustrating.

I am very thankful for any help, so if you look into this and maybe have some advice or further information, it would be great. Maybe there was a misunderstanding in the correspondence.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards

Nico

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @Nico L.,

As a disclaimer, I am a developer, rather then an Eikon content expert.

The approach that is suggested via content inquiry should remain definitive.

From looking at the case, I agree you have understood your options correctly. You can compile the ID map between the PE Screener and general Screener results yourself, via available fields. Or you can commission a service with consultancy, where we will do the project for you, that may also be subject to availability and waiting time, and if you are interested to know more on that front, your organization's account manager may be a good contact to involve to help you.

From my looking at the Screeners in more detail, if I was designing this, I would try to run Company Website in PE Screener results to Organization Website in general Screener results, as my primary map. And any results that end up one-to-many match,I would try to disambiguate via Company Name to Company Name match.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
0 1 0 0

Hello @zoya.farberov,

Thank you very much for your much-appreciated help and suggestions!

I considered another way of matching by using the screener's private companies universe. There you have the Spotify AB with the variable Ultimate Parent ID which is the Organization Perm ID of Spotify Technology SE in the private company universe. Unfortunately, I cannot find a proper way to filter the private companies by IPO date, investment date, founding date. There is an option to filter by the variable Ultimate Parent ID but it just allows for around 10 IDs per search. I tried to work with the corresponding excel formula so that I might be able to copy the command by just changing the ID every time by VLOOKUP or something but I currently fail due to my limited excel skills.

=TR("SCREEN(U(IN(Private(OrgType(COM, UNK, MKP)))/*UNV:Private*/), (Contains(TR.UltimateParentId,""5037833896"") OR Contains(TR.UltimateParentId,""4298032874"") OR Contains(TR.UltimateParentId,""5000661471"")), CURN=USD)";"TR.CommonName;TR."&"UltimateParentId;TR.UltimateParent";"curn=USD RH=In CH=Fd")

Is it possible to change the respective ID by linking the formula to a table of the public parent companies?

Do you understand the problem and is that more of a topic for you? Or do you have any solution in mind for this problem?

Thank you for your patience and commitment!

Best regards

Nico

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.